I am a 23-year-old male. My Gallbladder was removed 3 days ago(Tues. June 9, '09) due to Gallstones.

(My mother, aunt, & grandfather and possibly more extended family, had to have theirs removed, too.)

My surgeon never explained to me anything to expect after the operation nor anything to do with lacking a Gallbladder.

I go see my surgeon this coming Monday for a follow-up and to have the staples removed from my incisions I assume; so I'll ask questions then, also.

What I am wondering is:

1.) What should I expect with having no Gallbladder?
2.) Will I have constant diarrhea? (I've read A LOT about this from people whom have had their Gallbladder removed)
3.) If #2 is true, will it be forever? & is it caused from the bile?
4.) Will Gallbladder removal shorten ones lifespan?
5.) I've recently came across an article that claims the risk of colon cancer raises slightly to those who have had their Gallbladder removed but they insist it should have no effect on your decision to have it removed. (Effects somewhere around 119 people out of 10,000). Should I be extremely concerned about this as I am?
6.) What foods/drinks should I certainly avoid?
7.) What foods/drinks should I consume a lot of?
8.) Are there any recommended medications I should take to *help* my body because of having no Gallbladder?

Sorry for the lengthy and answers-demanding post.

Thanks.

Had my gall bladder out two years ago. Just wanted to reassure you. I have had absolutely no aftereffects. None of the things you are worried about. It will not shorten your life. Actually, your life should be a lot more pleasant now. Shouldn't have stomach problems, diarhea or anything like that. I eat and drink anything I want. I don't know about other people but this has been my experience. Hope this relieves your mind some.