Hi everyone, I just wanted to post my gallbladder surgery story. I started having attacks a little over a year ago, they would last usually I couple hours throughout the night and I would be fine by morning. I have never felt pain like that before in my life. The first time I had one, I thought I was having a heart attack. I did research and figured it was just trapped gas in my chest and started taking gas-x to break it up. About 3.5 weeks ago, I had an attack and it lasted for about 3 days straight. The pain was dull throughout the day and then worse at night. After trying gas-x and malox, my dad told me to go to the ER and see what they said. They ran blood tests and said that it wasn't gallstones and told me that they thought it might be an ulcer...however, I returned to the ER two nights later and this time they did the blood work and gave me an ultrasound and found that I had gallstones and that my lining to my gallbladder was in horrible condition. They said they could take it out that night but I wanted to talk to my parents first and have it done back in my hometown (I am about an hour away for school). So I scheduled an appointment to have my gallbladder removed but wasn't able to get in for two weeks. During those two weeks, I had to watch EVERY SINGLE THING i put into my mouth. I was half afraid to eat anything and sometimes I just wasn't hungry. So up until my surgery I did a lot of research online and let me tell you something, I was scared to death about what it would be like post surgery. I have read some horror stories, which I am sure a lot of you have, and I was definitely not looking forward to it. 
Well I had my surgery done on Tuesday, the 14th and I can honestly say that I feel 100 times better than i did prior to the surgery. 
I was able to walk fine right after the surgery and the only thing that was really wrong with me was that I was slightly sore from the incisions and slightly swollen in the stomach area. Other than that I felt great. I read about a lot of people experiencing nausea or dizziness and I must be one of the lucky ones because I didn't experience either of those. 
The doctor told me to stick to bland diet and gradually introduce fat back into my diet when I felt comfortable with it. 
I haven' really had much of an appetite, just mostly been drinking Sierra Mist and water. The first night I had some boiled fish and rice and was fine. Yesterday I didn't eat until dinner, which consisted of boiled/steamed shrimp and steamed carrots. 

I haven't had a bowl movement yet but my doc. told me it would be a few days until that happened. I am taking percoset right now and gas-ex. 
Today I woke up and felt that annoying pain in my shoulder, so I popped in two gas-ex pills and about 30 minutes later its gone. 
My stomach is still slightly swollen and I have noticed that after I eat, my stomach bloats a little, but I think that is due to the fact that I have gas in me from the surgery and the fact that I haven't had a BM yet. 
I have been drinking a fiber powdered drink, hoping that speeds up the process. :)
But I basically just wanted to post this for anyone who is worried to know that not all experiences are horrendous!

Who knows how I will feel in a couple of days. We shall see. :)

wow i feel like your telling my story.

a few days ago i started having this pain in my chest, i went to the ER in the morning, they did chest xray and blood saids they think its just pulled muscle in the chest. later THAT night i started throwing up, alot...i went back to the ER and they did ultra sound and said i have gallbladder filled with stones,they wanted to admit me and do it in the morning. by this time it was 4 am and my mother or father didnt even know i was in the ER, so i said no way i will go see my own dr that i know will do a good job and i gotta tell my parents before anything.

so here i am 4 days until the surgery and im getting nervous by the day!........i guess im worried about the pain after wards and i really dont want to be dizzy after the surgery., i have been having dizzy spells for the past 4 months and im hoping that this is all due to my gallbladder. did you have any symptoms like that?

I didn't have dizzy spells or nausea before my surgery or after it. The only thing that sucked for me before my surgery was the dull pain in my chest and I knew if I ate anything, I would pay for it later that night and probably not get any sleep.

And yeah, they wanted to operate on me when they first discovered the stones and my torn lining but I couldn't do that without informing my parents, it was like 4 AM for me too. So I feel your pain.

Don't be nervous about your surgery; I siked myself out way too much. If your pain is as bad as mine was, which I am sure it is, you will be so happy after the surgery because you will finally be able to get a full nights rest! 

Today I woke up with the pain in my shoulder again but gas-ex really seems to do the trick for that. MY stomach is still swollen/bloated and the bruising is getting worse around my belly button, but I hear that's normal.

After your surgery, I suggest having PLENTY of waiter and either 7-up, gingerale, sprite zero, or sierra mist on hand. Those are the sodas my Dr. suggested because they are clear and have no caffeine in them. They help you burp...A LOT, which helps with the annoying gas after the operation that you are filled up with. 

Today I finally had a BM....and it was NOT fun. I have never experienced anything like that in my life. I am going to talk to my Dr. about going on Questran for it, I hear a lot of people who have their gallbladders out use this to help cope with their new bowels. 

Have you talked to your doctor about your dizzy spells? 

After your surgery, they will probably tell you to eat whatever you want after the first day...
I don't suggest that. Stick with steamed veggies, steamed seafood, or chicken or anything bland. Trust me. Greasy and fattening foods will NOT agree with you. Those are foods that need to be gradually welcomed back into your diet over time. 

GOOD LUCK and keep me posted. IF you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

ok so im SUPER nervous today......omg...

all these horror stories online....my stomach is doing major flips and i feel like imma throw up cause im so nervous

did they use a cathather on you?

ok im home and resting....feel like a horse kicked me in my stomach....this is normal right?...pretty much my belly button and the surronding area is hurting.......

he only made one incision, through my belly button and did everything through there.....been taking half of my pain pills at a time cause i havent ate anything yet and dont want to get sick

Hi everybody that may read this....I am almost 24 hr post op & feel great to this point! From time I walked into hospital & got wheeled out it was 6hrs!! Didn't expect that!! 2hrs after waking up in recovery room I was wheeling around walmart in an electric scooter!! The worse pain has been a gas bubble stuck in my right shoulder. If that's the worse I'm great!! I had a catheter in during surgery as well. If anybody needs this done please just do it! Its alot less painful then other things that can happen. I had myself sick for two days prior because of nerves but realized if something bad happens its least painful this way then if I don't do it!!