i have severe pain on my right side, they did an ultra soiund but no gallstones were seen. i didn't get very much information at the hospital. the pain is on my right side near my rib cage. sometimes it is so severe i can't even stand up. even though they didn't see any stones could it still be my gall bladder ?? it has to be something. they gave me pain pills and sent me on my way...the pills help but that isn't helping the problem because it is still there and not going away it just seems to get worse. it gets worse right after i eat, when i eat. its getting so bad that i don't really feel like eating much...i am diabetic type 2.

could you please shed some light on this to give me some kind of idea of what is going on ??

thank you so much in advacne

debi smith

Hey Debbie,

I know exactly how you are feeling about a month ago I was living at school and I got really sick so I went to the doctor on campus and they said I had a virus and advised me to go home till I got better. I went home then went and saw my primary care doctor she also said it was a virus with an ear infection and put me on antibiotics. While during this time I was slowly losing my appetite and having nausea after I ate, and I can't lay down at night I have been sleeping reclined on the couch also Iv had a low grade fever since all of this started so its been about 6 weeks and im still not feeling good I have seen and Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor to make sure its not something in my head the other doctors aren't seeing and I had to see a doc in the box because my doctor was on vacation nobody found anything and that's with blood work. Last week I had the worse attack I woke up Thursday with this stabbing pain across my upper abdominal and feeling like i was going to get sick to my stomach. So, I went to the hospital to get an ultrasound we were at the hospital for 6 hours they did blood work with and ultrasound came back all said your liver is fine and you have no gallstones and sent me home no meds. nothing so now i am going to a stomach doctor and im waiting to see what she has to say. Even though I don't have gallstones Im wondering if my gallbladder can still be infected so I know its difficult believe me and im sorry i don't have an answer for you I Just wanted to let you know your not alone here

Liz~

what did yall find out cause iv been haveing off and on pain and upset to my stomach since nov 13. I'v hade ct, hida, and a ultrasound was done today. But the ct, and hida came back normal and so did all the blood work. the symptoms i have had all point to gallblader ,swelling on my right side, right pain under ribs,pain under chest, and pain under right shoulder pain. and the loritabs kinda worked but not all the way and the antacids pills i was given r not helping eather.

I am in the same boat. A couple of weeks ago I started getting a stabbing pain on my right side below my rib cage. Enough to make me say OUCH out loud and double over trying to breath through it. I have been having chest pains too and that worried me more so I made an appt to see my dr to make sure I wasn't on the verge of heart attack.

I never gave my gallbladder a single thought. They did a complete blood work up on me. All of my scores were perfect and my bad cholestoral was 121 and they want it to be 0 to 129. So tho it's not bad bad, it could be better. My blood pressure has always been good as well. No fever at the time of the appt.

They did an ekg and it was normal too. They took an xray of my chest and no one ever said a thing about that. They wired me to heart monitor for 24 hours and said that was normal. She asked if I'd had any abdominal pain and I said yes. I had forgotten to tell her about the stabbing pains. I told her that for the past few weeks I'd been having it, incredibly uncomfortable heartburn right after I ate, feeling bloated, belching, gassy, diahrea, pain in my right shoulder blade (I thought it was a pinched nerve) and even pain over my right eye.

She had me lay back and started to push on my gallbladder and it knocked the wind out of me. She was hardly pushing as well. She told me to take a deep breath as she needed to push harder and I said I didn't think I could take it. They brought me in for an ultrasound yesterday morning. I don't even want to eat because the suffering after eating isn't worth it. The pain is still there and they said that the ultrasound of my entire abdomin was fine. WTH????

Are they missing something? Do I need to see a specialist? They just said, if you have more pain let us know. More?? I don't want more because I have enough now. So what?? A few tests and that's it. Didn't find anything so that means nothing is wrong? I don't understand this line of thinking. SOMETHING is very wrong and I can't seem to get a dr. to give two flips about it. The fact that the person who saw me is a P.A. and not an M.D. makes me wonder. It's University of Nebraska Med Center and it's a med school practice. My gp is there but I never get to see her. I always got socked with an intern so it makes me wonder just how accurate these people are being at the expense of my health.

Just so frustrated!!

My wife also has this severe pain on her right side. It sure seems that it has to be the gall bladder, but all the test come back negative. One doctor suggested that it could be be that the gall bladder just isn't producing enough bile and it could be causing problems, but the test for that also came back negative. She's 41 years old and has had this pain for years now and everytime we get it checked the doctors come up empty. Almost seems like the medical people think it's all imaginary with some of the comments made, but I've seen the pain, and I know it hurts her bad. Sure wish we knew.

I recently returned from the local hospital's emergency room. I have the same severe pain in my upper right quadrant of my abdomen, all symptoms of gallbladder problems. Bloodwork, ultrasound and x-rays were taken. I was told I do not have any gallstones and my labs are all normal. Told me to follow-up with my doctor. Sent me home with pain medicine. Has anyone who had previously posted on this had any new developments or any information they would like to share. This pain is unbearable.

this all sounds like me to a "T", the pain, bloating, ER visits, nausea, I have had so many tests its unreal, I ended up in the ER twice this last week, and went to my gastro doc, he sent me to a surgeon, and he left it up to me to see if I wanted my gall bladder out, WTF??, sorry, I said take the darn thing out, I have been living with this pain for a long time and its hurts so bad it wakes me up at night, and I cant eat at times because I feel so sick, I actually feel guilty for wanting my gall bladder out but my husband and family have seen me suffering for a long time, I want it out!! Oh, and everytime Ive had bloodwork, CT and even a HIDA scan all was normal too.

I have had this same problem, pain after eating, they can't find Anything in blood work, or ultrasounds. I'm going nuts!

I have pain too and worse if i eat fatty food!! had bloods done all normal had ultra sound a couple of days ago and she said she could see no sign of gallstones?? It hurts and i want the pain to go away! she told me if it persists to go back to my gp and they would investigate My spine! Not sure why? got a follow up with gp in 10 days ......

Oh my gosh. This happened to me today. I have had terrible pains in the upper abdomen since Saturday. Went to the dr today who thought was gallstone. Off to hospital. Test, ultrasound all clear and yet I am in so much pain - to the point where one of the other patients buzzed the nurse to come and help me becaus I looked like I was in so much pain. When I eat it hurts. When I dont eat it hurts. I am going on holiday in 2 weeks and if this keeps up it will be completely ruined :( I felt like when I was at the hospital the dr's couldn't care less, didn't know what it was and didn't care. Sent me off with a prescription for antacid and follow up with GP. I am starting to think I am crazy and imagining it is worse than it is?!! Can some one help?

I recently had the same issues everyone is talking about.  They checked me for gallstones, but I didn't have any.  They did, however, check to see if my gallbladder was working properly and found out that it wasn't working at all!  They have since removed my gall bladder and the pain has gotten better, but not completely gone.  Maybe you should have them check to insure your gallbladder is even working, not just check for gallstones.

My mom has this severe pain in her side and back and shes had it for over a year know.shes seen lots of doctors and had ultra sounds and all kinds of tests and came up nothing. They sent her home with abunch of pain meds. The pain meds arnt even helping anymore and it is just getting worse.she can hardly walk now :( acouple doctors tell her its her back and the back doctor said it isnt her back.The pain has become crippling to her to were she almost has to crawl sometimes and the doctors are not helping!.. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem,or have had this problem and got it treated??? Anybody please help! We dont no were else to turn! :(

I had the same symptons years ago that most post are referring too. We were on vacation, had another serious flare up.. went to the Ozark Hospital emergency, all test came up negative, the "country" Doctor said I had non-surgical appendisiis, and gave me a powerful shot of Cipro and said I will be fine in 24hrs, he was right, no problems since then, 20 years ago... not saying this is anyones problem here, just my story.

My husband has the same issue. Severe stomach pain on the right side. His first attack was 5 months ago it went away. They did a hida scan and it came back abnormal so his primary dr sent him to the surgeon to have his gallbladder removed,but the surgeon said no i dont beleive it is ur gallbladder and made him do some more testing and said all his severe pain was just acid reflux and put him on some meds. Did not help one bit he still was having severe attacks. Now he has had the worse one he has had this pain for over 2 weeks now he can do nothing because everything hurts and the Dr barely has to touch for him to scream and hit the Dr. The surgeon said it cant be ur gallbladder because the ultersound shows no stones. All the test came back negitive expect for his liver enzymes were eleveted but they said scince they have been that way for the last 5mths thats nothing. So all test came back negitive so the Dr said sorry there is no more we can do for u even though we know u are in the worst pain of ur life. They said u need to go see a shreink it is all in ur head.

I really hate Dr they can be so dumb,they say that modern medicine has come a long way,my ass it has they cant even figure out whats wrong with my husband how hard can that be. He also has very severe dihrea with these attacks.He also has problems with fatty foods.

18year old daughter. Severe lower right abdominal pain. Battery of tests, hida scan, ct, ultra sounds, x-rays, etc. 2 weeks ago the appendix was removed. Pain returned! 1 day ago gallbladder removed. Pain returned the same night. Back to the ER. Finally a doctor that will sit down and talk to us(rare find). After looking at all of the test ran, even for parasites. There were pages of blood test ran with no defining results. This doctor is checking for PORPHYRIA. Most labs can test for this if the doctor gives them instructions! Tests takes at least 4 days to get results. This rare in the US but is becoming more common. We're off to the surgeon to get meds to manage the pain until the lab tests come back. 

PORPHYRIA look this up ladies, most doctors have not heard of this.