I had my gallbladder removed on December 2, 2010. (I had an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time.) I had multiple gallbladder attacks over a two year period, including the first one that involved an ambulance ride to the heart center of a local hospital. The doctor there told me that many people who come in with chest pains are indeed having an attack, but an attack of the gallbladder, not the heart. They referred me to a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed. I actually went for a consultation with the surgeon and scheduled my surgery time, about 2 weeks out.
Well, during those 2 weeks, I did a lot of research on gallbladder issues and saw the huge proportion of gallbladder removal stories that ended in what seemed like dreadful consequences- especially constant abdominal pain and diarrhea. So, I decided not to have surgery and cancelled. For the next 20 months or so, I had periodic attacks involving fever and stomach upset, and I had continual swollen belly and gas, almost like I was pregnant . Still, I did not want to live my life with constant runs, so I just lived with the periodic episodes and the constant swelling. Some doctors nagged me along the way to remove my gallbladder, another told me it was the worst thing I could do. All the civilian folks, so to speak, had their own opinions, mostly negative about gallbladder removal. I heard many horror stories. It reminded me of all the horror stories I heard about childbirth. And as far as the internet goes, the post gallbladder removal stories were worse.
Well, to make a long story short, I finally had my gallbladder removed. (If I was not under anesthesia, I might have chickened out in the middle of the procedure. Imagine that much terror and indecision about having it removed. I just kept thinking that if I get the gallbladder out, I will never get it back – obvious but terrorizing to me.)
So, now it is 2 weeks post surgery to the day and I must tell you, in spite of some soreness, mostly from the hernia that I repaired at the same that I had my gallbladder removed. I feel better than I have in a very long time. I have not had any diarrhea, much less the constant kind. And best of all, the constant stomach swelling is gone. I no longer look 9 months pregnant. I received the pathology report on my gallbladder – the report that is routinely done after your gallbladder is removed and inspected by a pathologist, and the report indicated just how sick my gallbladder was – full of inflammation, swollen (edematous), and with a thickened wall. No large stones just a lot of nasty infected sludge. I must say that I feel rather depressed now about going through all that suffering before making my decision to finally have my gallbladder removed. I was genuinely terrified of having all the terrible consequences that I saw on the internet or heard from well meaning others telling you about Aunt Bertha’s gallbladder surgery horrors. I know that those could still happen but life the way I was living it with periodic serious attacks and constantly swollen painful stomach was no good. I knew it was only a matter of time until the infection spread, causing more pain and possibly death.
I particularly wanted to write this as a rebuttal to the many horror stories that I heard or saw. It is not that these people’s experiences are not true, it is that there are positive experiences, including mine. I must qualify my after surgery experience by saying that I am a bodybuilder and as such, I was already accustomed to eating six meals a day of good quality, fairly low fat foods. I had learned to avoid peanut butter, etc. because it would trigger an attack. So, given that qualifier, my best advice post surgery is to eat six times a day, 3 full meals and 3 snacks. In addition to keeping your stomach full and therefore cushioned against raw stomach and bile, eating 6 times a day no more than 3 hours apart has been shown to help you lose weight, even in the absence of increased activity, etc.
Anyway, best to all of you and there is hope.

Hi there. I just had my gallbladder removed on Dec. 1. I was wondering how I can GAIN weight. I lost 13lbs since the gallbladder attack from late October til I had surgery to remove my gallbladder. I want to gain the weight I lost. Any suggestions?

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your success story! I am having mine out next week and have been very nervous about it. It is reassuring to hear your story. :-D

I'm having the same surgery in a couple of weeks. Was this done as an outpatient procedure or did you have to spend the night?

Omg I'm soooooooo glad you shared your story I'm having surgery TOMORROW and all that is online is horrid stories if this......I have been worried penises for days.......

That was me who posted above I said I have been worried sick! All these bad stories online are horrible...... Thank you for sharing I'm hoping I have great results too

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm having my gallbladder removed after 4 years of attacks, pain and procrastination. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday and most of the stories I've read have had me contemplated chickening out. lol.
I've been having severe anxiety about this. I think that the anxiety is actual what's causing a lot of my pain and diarrhea. I know that I have to do this- my ultrasound result was NOT pretty- my gallbladder was pretty much just a black-shadow of stones on the screen. I'm hoping that they'll be able to do this laproscopically, as I have 3 kids who need my undivided attention. My husband has taken a week off work and I really am hoping that will be enough time!
Thanks again. Seems so many people are more eager to share their horror stories than the positive ones!

Yea I'm big onto research before any decision I make, especially big ones. So I did what I do... I sat on the internet and read horror story after horror story about gallbladder removal. Well I'll tell you what, it was the best thing I ever did. It cured my acid reflux, no more INTENSELY painful attacks, and I can eat whatever I want. I had mine out about 4 months ago from the time I'm posting this, and I still occasionally have a 'weird' stool or maybe a faint ache, but it's really not a big deal or even noticeable. One thing I do recommend is giving yourself at least a month or so to get back into any exercise routines. If your doctor recommends it out, get it out, don't listen to random joes on the internet. Except for me, listen to me.. hahaha

When you go online to research medical problems, such as....reading of people's gall bladder experiences, keep in mind that for the most part, people who have had good experiences never come online to post about it.  You only find all the horror stories.
I myself have been petrified after reading all these stories, and I am scheduled for gall bladder surgery on the 17th of November.
i have never had an actual gall bladder attack, but let me tell you my story.
For over 20 years now, I have had episodes of racing between sitting on the loo or standing up over it.  There was no rhyme or reason to when this would occur, and I would usually feel better once the activity in the bathroom was over.
However, lately, there is no time to go between sitting and standing.  I now had to sit with a bucket in front of me.
So what is causing it?  All the doctors seemed puzzled and passed it off as being IBS.
well, after this last episode, I didn't bounce back to normal.  I have been nauseated, bloated, waking up in the middle of the night with a gnawing burning pain in the pit of my stomach.  Oh yeah... for the last few years I can fall asleep just sitting watching my favorite TV show.... ( just tired all the time)
The ultrasound showed shadowing in the gall bladder area, but the CT scan showed nothing.  The doctor referred me to a surgeon.  The surgeon said my gall bladder needed to come out....  I had a CD of the ultrasound results that I wanted him to look at  ( since I didn't really trust my doctor), but he said he didn't need to see them.  He just read the report.
I didn't like that!  I wanted a second opinion  by VIEWING the pictures of the ultrasound.
So... I asked for a Hideascan.  The surgeon said I could have one, but he was sure it would only support what he already found on the ultrasound report.
The Hideascan showed a refraction rate of 19%.  They want it to be at least 38%.  So even though I have had no gall bladder attack with all the pain you hear about, I guess I have a sick gall bladder.
I got sick on the table during the Hideascan.  The tech assured me it didn't necessarily mean something was wrong with my gall bladder, but then they are trained NOT to give any information out about the test results...... ( yeah!  riiiiiiiiight)   I have been really feeling crummy ever since the Hideascan.... real nauseated, and every time I go to the bathroom I have poo along with it......didn't have any of that BEFORE the Hideascan.,

I just want to feel better.  Instead of coming online to read all the horror stories, ask friends and people you KNOW who have had the surgery.  I think it will make you feel better about your decision to go ahead with the surgery!

I am still scared s***less about having this done, but I just want to feel better.  I am a school bus driver and it scares me that I might have the bathroom problems after the surgery.

I know what you are going thru who are contemplating surgery.   Mine is scheduled for November 17, 2011, and I promise to come back in here and give you an update.  Stay tuned!    o.O

What do you mean cushion yourself against raw stomach and bile? Now that's scaring me and I'm looking at GB surgery nxt wk. Vicki

hi seeking d, i underwent the same procedure 2 months ago. i went thru the same feelings. and yes, today life is much better after gall bladder removal and umbilical hernia repair. feel i shud have done it earler .

felt good to see someone feeling the same. u take care.

preetisana wrote:

SeekingD wrote:

I wish I had not waited to get my gall bladder surgery as well. I did it a month ago today. Being a lover of natural foods and natural medicine, I thought I could scramble around and clean out my GB, even though my attacks had began without knowing it-in my back! I've alway taken excellent care of my health, well ok, maybe not the stress as well as I could have, but physically, I kept myself in good shape all my life.
I learned through this that GB trial, that I would have needed to start much earlier to 'clean' my gallbladder, before it got inflammed-there's really not much education about how to avoid GB surgery-way ahead of time, unless you really know about this such as being in the healthfield. Lots of talk about liver cleanse, but not a lot of talk about GB cleanse-which of course is attached as I've learned!
If I were to live my life again, I would have not taken medications for an extended time which are known to affect the liver-most docs don't know about all the liver tests there are to REALLY check this-now I've having to take tests for my liver to make sure there is no damage from the meds. All along my liver tests looked good-but I never went to a gasterenterologist to really get it extensively checked out-now I wish I had-there are many, many liver tests!
Anyway digestion is improving, pain is MUCH better and I'm gaining some of my 20 lbs I lost-and some strength. It's been worth it and someday I will forgive myself for not being perfect about not knowing about how to keep one's gallbladder healthy. Trying to be perfect is stressful-another cause of health problems. I'm working on it! Trying to laugh a lot. Vicki

Golly, I didn't really have a choice or much time to contemplate my surgery! I went to the emergency room for this terrible pain on Friday night. They checked me into hospital, gave me an ultrasound showing a stone and wall thickening (which evidently indicates infection),and pain medicine started IV antibiotics and took me off to surgery the next morning. I felt so bad I didn't even think about whether I wanted my gallbladder out or not.. I had the keyhole thing done and I feel so much better! Sore from the surgery but I can tell that I'm going to feel so much better than I have in a long time. No poo problems. Eating anything at all with no symptoms.  :-| And best of all: No more pain! :-)

I also did not have much choice regarding having my gallbladder removed.  I went to see the doctor and a week later I was in hospital to have my gallbladder removed and a hernia repair done.  Other than the obvious discomfort of the surgery, I have been fine.  I was given a list of food which I could eat after the hernia repair and a separate list of foods to avoid after the gallbladder surgery.  Between the two  lists I would have been left with a very small variety of foods which I could actually eat.  I must have been one of the lucky ones.  I was able to eat most of the foods I ate before the surgery. Not even the surgery put me off my coffee.  I had my surgery 3 years ago.  I have been back for two check-ups and have had no complications.  The only thing I have found is that if I eat any products which contain wheat, I become bloated.  I can honestly say that the surgery was the best thing I had done and I can eat whatever I wish. 

I had surgery 8 days ago to remove my gallbladder.  Although, I had trouble eating red meat for 3 to 6 months, and thought it was a digestive issue, I didn't connect it to my gallbladder.  I also had episodes of back pain that could not be explained.  They day of my attack, I had a fatty pork chop.   I had intense back pain.  It woke me up during the night.  I could not get comfortable and nothing relieved the pain.  The next day, I went to my doctor and after describing the back pain, he asked if I hurt anywhere else.  I told him just a little in the upper right quadrant and pointed to exact location of my gallbladder.  He sent me to the hospital for blood work and a CT scan.  I had an allergic reaction to the contrast dye and had to have Benadryl.  Then later, I had a GB ultrasound.  Both tests showed blockage and 4 gallstones.  My blood work showed elevated white cells.  I really didn't have a choice or time to research anything.  My family doctor recommended removal.  I had to be put on antibiotics that day.  The next afternoon, they removed my gallbladder.  After 3 days of not eating, I couldn't wait to eat.  I had vanilla pudding, peanut butter, and graham crackers without any problems.  The next morning, I had a ham and cheese omelet, oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins, FF milk, and apple juice.  Although, I could eat everything, I had a little bit of all of it.  I also had a banana muffin later in the morning.  For lunch, I had meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  Again, I could eat all of it, but had some of everything.  Since that time, the only food that has given me problems with salsa.  I'm sure it was the acid in the tomatoes, plus being spicy.  I ate it on day 7 post surgery and it felt like I had drank Drano.  I had a burning sensation down my throat and chest for over two hours.

As far as BM's.  I did not have one for 6 days (3 days after the surgery).  The first one was very painful, but luckily a friend had warned me, so I had taken a stool softener the day before and used Miralax that day.  My friend, a nurse, told me the pain medication is what constipates you.  I was also told I might experience diarrhea, but so far I have not.  I have a normal daily bowel movement.  I do take Vitamin E for dry skin, so I don't know if it makes any difference or not. 

Since the surgery, I have had salad with raw vegetables, cream of broccoli soup, and even french fries without problem.  I am usually hungry at lunch, but not in the evening.  In the evening, only cereal sounds good and the fiber is probably helpful.  I eat Kashi Berry cereal or Honey Nut Cheerios with FF milk.  So, for those of you contemplating the surgery, I would not fear it.  The only other side effect that I have experienced is continued back pain.  I'm told this could be due to the air that is pumped in during surgery.  I have a recheck tomorrow with the surgeon, so hopefully, she can shed some light on the back pain.  My surgery was laparscopic.  I went back to work for a 1/2 day six days after the surgery and a full day a week after the surgery.  Other than being tired at the end of the day, I also haven't had any problem going back to work either.