For the past few days I had been experiencing vaginal odor and itching. I went to my doctor and he told me that I have bacterial vaginosis caused by overgrowth of Gardnerella vaginalis. Can I get more details about this?

Bacterial vaginosis is characterized by the overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina like Gardnerella vaginalis, Gardneralla mobiluncus, and Mycoplasma hominis. This condition is usually under diagnosed. This happens because many women assume they have a yeast infection and treat symptoms with medications that they get over the counter. Young adult women are most commonly affected, particularly those who are sexually active. BV is caused by a change in the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina. Helpful bacteria, Lacotbacillus, metabolize glycogen to lactic acid in the vagina. It helps to maintain normal vaginal pH that provides a natural defense against unhealthy bacteria proliferation. When the defense is weakened, other bacteria present in the vagina proliferate and cause symptoms. These bacteria include Bacteroides sp, Peptostreptococcus sp, Gardnerella vaginalis, G. mobiluncus and Mycoplasma hominis. A fishy vaginal odor, itching and irritation are common signs that can be accompanied by a smooth, white or gray discharge.