I have an embarassing problem. I am 18 years old and recently I have noticed a foul odor in my vagina. Naturally, I went to see my gynecologist and she told me that I have vaginosis. What I would like to know is how did I get this? Is it transmited through sex?

Bacterial vaginosis or vaginitis is an inflammation which occurs in the vagina. It includes several strains of germ that cause bacterial vaginosis yeast infections and trichomoniasis. There is a common believe among women that yeast infections are the most common type of vaginal infection. That is not correct because bacterial vaginosis is the most frequently occurring vaginal infection.It is affecting from 10 percent to 64 percent of the female population. Some of the causes of bacterial vaginosis are an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria and the Gardnerella organism. Other causes are poor health, poor hygiene, use of an intrauterine device for birth control (IUD), vaginal douching and even hot water. The most obvious sign of vaginosis infection is a foul odor. The treatment of vaginosis consits of oral antibiotics and vaginal cream. It is important to complete your medication as your physician has told you, no matter if your symptoms have disappeared. You should think about when your symptoms started. It is possible that you got it from sexual intercourse.