Hello. Just recently I have experienced some symptoms which I have never experienced before. I'm 23 year old, sexually active, female and I would like to find out more about this.
You see, about two weeks ago I started to notice really heavy and colored vaginal discharge. It has a bit fishy smell, especially after having intercourse. When these symptoms become more expressed I contacted my gynecologist imidiately. He used a cotton swab to get a sample of the discharge and send it to analysis.
After two days he told me that I suffer from some infection called bacterial vaginosis and prescribed me some antibiotics. Problem is that he didn’t tell me anything about it. Is this some kind of STD?
If this is an infection, did I catch it from someone?

I know some facts about this infection because I have developed it several times in my life.
It’s very common condition and you shouldn’t be worried at all. This isn’t STD and you didn’t catch it from anyone. Bacterial vaginosis is an overgrowth of bacteria that are normally in the vagina. The most obvious sign of bacterial infection is an unpleasant foul, often fishy odor. Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is the most common vaginal infection in women.
It isn’t so serious condition but must be treated because there is a threat that bacteria could get up into the uterus or the fallopian tubes and cause more serious infections.
Treatment is relatively simple and may include pills for you to take by mouth, or a cream or gel to put in your vagina.

I had bacterial vaginosis, I went to see a doctor because of my vaginal discharge was colored and had fishy smell after intercourse. First I thought I picked up from someone, but then I found out that is an overgrowth of bacteria that is normally in vagina. My doctor prescribed me some pills as treatment and it passed. I hope that everything will be easy in your case like in mine. Good luck!