I need a few suggestions about weight training for cyclist. I’ve entered my school’s cycling team, and it seems to me that I’m the skinniest of them all, so I want to boost up both my self-confidence and my muscles. What kind of exercises I am supposed to do and what parts of my body should I pay attention to in order to improve my cycling?

It’s of vital importance that you know that besides your legs, you should pay a special attention to the upper parts of your body. Abdominal muscles are very important and for cycling and you should be working on them. Your torso is, actually, important for pedaling and weight training should be focused on developing those parts of your body. Winter is the period when you should work on your muscles extensively since you can’t train cycling so much. So, during winter your workout should be higher weights with fewer repetitions. And when the cycling season approaches switch to lower weights and more repetitions. You can ask a fitness instructor to give you some advice if you want to be sure you’re working properly.