In the gym I’ve heard there was in late seventies strength coach Bill Starr. Also they were talking about his classic book. I am not sure but name of the book was “Only the Strongest Will Survive”. There is explained method that Bill Starr believed to be a staple in developing strength. I would like to hear what his program was.

Billy Starr’s 5x5 program is one of the more classical methods of developing size and strength. Origin of it was in fifties and sixties by British bodybuilder Reg Park. He happened to be a hero of Arnold Schwarzeneggar’s. Though it was long time ago it is still highly effective. Bill Starr explained 5x5 program using 200 pound close grip bench presses. Goal was to do 5 sets of 5 repetitions with 200 pounds. If you are like most of the people you first workout will fall short a few reps in the last sets. Increase the load only if you can do a full 5 sets of 5 repeats. If you are not able to do at least 14 total working repetitions, your chosen load was too high. If the trainee was able to do 5 sets of 5 reps, in either the first workout or subsequent workouts, you should increase the weight by 5 or 10 pounds. Key was to keep adding small increments of weight until 3 week training period was over.