Hi

I'm 17 and I have dry and red skin on my hands, sometimes the redness becomes very bright and it is embarrassing. Also they can go quite blue/purple when they're cold.
My hands have gone like this in the winter for the last few years and it usually goes off when it gets a bit warmer but it's still not gone yet. They get very dry and cracked in the winter which makes them bleed, however, this has gone off now and using moisturisers gets rid of the dryness.
My main concern is the redness as it stands out and I am always very concious of my hands around people so I try to hide them as much as possible. The colour goes normal usually if I keep my hands above my elbows for a little while, and also when it is sunny and they're kept in the sunlight, but as soon as I put them down they start going red again.
It is only on the back of my hands and nowhere else, not on the palms at all and there is a clear line across my wrist where the skin goes from normal on my arms to red on my hands.
There is no pain involved in it and they're not itchy at all or scabby or peeling, it is just very embarrassing for me and I also fear that it may mean that I cannot persue a career in the RAF if it is Raynauds or psoriasis or something like that.

If anyone has any answers I'd appreciate them, thankyou

Hi:
Have you ever had circulatory problems? Have you ever injured your hands, i.e. frostbite, etc.? If so, could those traumas have caused your current problems? Have you consulted with a dermatologist? The circulatory issues would be something to really explore. I hope that you have found a solution. If so, please share. Keep us updated as to how you are doing. I will be waiting to hear from you.

Hi. I wondered of you ever got any information regarding your skin trouble on your hands. It looks very similar to my daughter's and she also has a much worse time in the winter with dryness, cracks, bleeding, etc. It's so severe that it's a huge problem now! Please respond to my e mail if you have any info. Thanks a million!

Hi - My 19 year old son has the same thing! It has been happening for about 3 years only in the winter. I thought it was severe dry skin and we have tried every lotion available but nothing seems to really help until temperatures warm back up. I'll be watching for anyone with answers! I have searched the web trying to figure this out!

My 6 year old daugther had a severe case this winter of dry hands, especially across her knuckles; cracking, bleeding and it was really hurting her. Tried everything I could think of and then called the doctor. He said to coat her hands in vaseline at night. I tried it for several days, but didn't see much difference. I called the doctor back and got one of the nurses. She suggested trying it again, only also putting on some thin latex gloves to keep the gel on her hands and off her clothes and bed linens. It worked! We saw a big difference each night. We did it every night until the were pretty much back to normal and now we do it whenever they feel dry again. One other thing I did for her because she is so small and moves around a lot in her sleep is over the latex gloves I put some fingerless gloves to help the latex stay on.

I have this same problem, now my daughter age 12 is having dry chapped, bleeding hands too. The gloves overnight is great. Here are a few other options. 1) Change soap to moisturizing one, like with Aloe Vera. 2) Run a humidifier at night while you sleep. Especially when the weather is colder and you get static shock or cling. We lived in Arizona and had no issue, with humidity in 10-30%. Now that we are back to California we are getting the dry hands, with humidity in 20-40%. The difference was the humidifier at night.

im 15 turning 16 in may. I have the same problem and i live in maryland. My arms are really soft and then there's this red line that looks like my hands shouldnt be connected to my arms cause they look so red but i never have dry palms. Its really annoying and lotion helps a little but it does get rid of the redness. When i wear t shirts it shows alot, so i never wear them i always have to wear sweatshirts and long sleeved shirts. And in in the summer it does go away but it get somewhat better. i tried LITERALLY EVERY KIND OF LOTION. all our soap bottles use aloe vera. i tried the vaseline but it didnt do anything for the redness. ANd i really need some help! anyone with suggestions please help.

please someone help! its so embarrising

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Raynaud Syndrome. Google it, it really sounds like it could be this

Try using natural oils in stead of commircialhand creams most of them have alcohol in them so the absorb in to the skin faster. Using an antiseptic cream like neosporin or Bag balm(look for it in the pet aisle)andcotton gloves at night! My six year old has skin problems due to allergies and she get very red chapped hand while she is at school because of the harsh soap and hand sanitizer she uses while at school. Best of luck hope you find relife!

I have the same problem. After doing some research I have found that the probable cause is erythema with unknown etymology. The redness occurs from dilated capillaries in the cutaneous tissue. Treatment for erythema isn't set in stone, but an over-the-counter vasoconstrictor, such as Preparation H, should help with the redness. Just apply the ointment to the affected area and it should show improvement within an hour.

My 5 year old has had this two times in the last week.. I am going to take her in. Your pics look exactly like her hands do.

My daughter has the same strange "fingerless glove" redness on her hands. Baffled as to what the cause might be. Have switched from cow to goat milk dairy products, in case that might be a cause (she eats a LOT of feta cheese).

That sounds really bad you see I have a dry hand and it is starting to get all red I don't know what it is?also it is weird because it is only my left hand my write hand is fine?Please help if you know what my problem is

It is a form of eczema. Most people know about the eczema that looks like little red bumps or thick patches, but there are several forms. The best indication that it is eczema and not simply dry skin is that no amount of moisturizer will provide relief or completely take the redness and cracking away. It needs to be treated with a hydrocortisone cream two or three times a day. You can get it over-the-counter at any drug store. My doctor said to start with the .5 and if there isn't a huge difference, try the 1.0. For me the .5 worked great. Within 2 days it was 75% better. I don't like taking drugs, oral or topical, but for those of you who have suffered with cracked, irritated skin, it is worth it. Hope this helped!