I'm 23 years old male.. From the past 1 year i'm having greenish nasal discharge.. Its not completely green but yellowish green. It doesnt come whole day but, only when i bend forward for 2 or 3 minutes.. The mucus gets accumulated while laying down and gets discharged when i get up.. It also gets accumulated at the back of throat while laying down often causing throat infection.. The mucus has a very bad smell and is also causing post nasal drip.. I have been to many doctor's but non of there medicines worked.. Even an X ray of para nasal sinus and endoscopy was done.. But nothing was seen.. So the main issue here is i get this discharge only if i bend forward or lay down.. Is it something serious to have this problem..?

Hi Guest,

Yellow/green or greenish discharge indicates an infection.  Have they done a culture?

I'm assuming the medications are antibiotics.

Sinus infections can be very difficult to treat.  If you aren't seeing a specialist, an ENT, please do.  That would be an otolaryngologist.

Good luck.

i had been to alot of ENT specialists.. but sputum culture was not done.. they had given antibiotics but didnt help.. i have tried steam inhalation.. even that seems not to be working..

i had been to alot of ENT specialists.. but sputum culture was not done.. they had given antibiotics but didnt help.. i have tried steam inhalation.. even that seems not to be working.. pns x ray was negative.. nasal endoscopy was done but only small amount of mucus was found.. i found that the mucus gets accumulated when i sleep and comes out morning when i wake up.. what could be the reason..

It's normal for it to accumulate when you sleep. It's due to the positioning of your head. During the day you are likely swallowing a lot of it, unconsciously.

I'd press for a culture. If they are treating you with antibiotics then they suspect an infection. It doesn't sound as though it may clearing. It could also be some form of allergy contributing to this, but again, I suspect an infection as well. It may even be fungal.

Also, don't rule out a dental problem contributing. Some areas of the sinus cavities are very close to the ends of your teeth.

Hope it helps.