Last few days I feel like my nose is stuffy, so I guess it comes from too much thick mucus. I was not sure what could be the reason that never happened with me before, even when I was cold, so I was thinking to visit my doctor. One friend of mine told me it could be congestion. I would like to know more about it. Which are symptoms for congestion and is there some home care, or I should go to the doctor.

There are many alternative names for that, such as nose-congested, nasal congestion, congested nose, or stuffy nose. Most people think congested or stuffy nose is caused by too much of mucus. That is incorrect, because congested nose happens when membranes lining the nose become swollen from inflamed vessels. It can be caused by most of the same reasons as a runny nose and that are colds, allergies, sinus infections, and the flu. The most common is caused by virus and typically resolves spontaneously within a week. To relieve runny or stuffy nose there are few over-the-counter medicines that may help. Decongestants shrinking the blood vessels in the lining of the nose, but they only help with stuffiness, not a runny nose or other symptoms. Antihistamines may reduce the amount of mucus but be careful, because some antihistamines make people drowsy. To visit your doctor there should be some other symptoms beside congestion. If there is swelling of the forehead, eyes, side of the nose, or cheek there is enough reason to see your doctor. Also visit him if blurred vision, coughing episodes, specially the one with yellow green sputum, and if congestion lasts more then two weeks occur.