My son developed gynecomastia in puberty. Hormonal imbalance caused this condition. I am not sure jet what treatment is for gynecomastia. Is he going to need surgery? How common is this disorder? I think that this left major emotional impact on him

Gynecomastia is a benign condition that can occur in persons of any age, but 40% of cases occur in adolescent boys aged 14-16 years. It is usually secondary to the normal hormonal imbalances between testosterone and estrogen that commonly occurs during puberty. Treatment may be required if he has very large breast development, if it is not regressing, or if it is causing a lot of stress in your child. Male breast growth that has not stopped by three years may not go away and in these situations you should ask for help from an experienced Plastic Surgeon. He may need to surgically remove the breast tissue.

It happens. Excess testosterone aromatizes into estrogen which can trigger breast tissue development. (gyncomastia). During this time a anti-estrogen pills can help block the estrogen receptors to curb this problem. However, once it happens.. there is no turning back. Gyncomastia can only be removed by surgical means. The gland behind the aerola can be removed during this time to prevent gyncomastia from happening in the future.

my son was diagnosed with this last year at age 15, he is awaiting surgery to correct it. with further tests the hospital diagnosed a hormone defficiency and said this was the likely cause. i had been to my gp numerous times about the fact he had not entered puberty and was told to wait. this made the problem worse. my son is now on injections daily to try and sort his hormones out.. doctors said this would have been easier at an earlier age.. dont wait if your son is the same.

Im 16 and over the summer i had that surgery because i had to much breast tissue, i was late a puberty anyways and i had hormone shots that could have lead to it. I went to my doctors and then a plastic surgens and found that my parents insurance would pay for the surgery (we had ppk) and now that my breast are gone it is so much better, i recomend trying to get ur son to have that surgery, it really helped my selfeystem