Hi everyone,

I was wondering about this for quite some time now. I know a lot about anxiety and panic attacks since I had cases like that in my family and I had to help them deal with it, but I was always wondering if there was a number of these panic attacks that a person can have in one day, like a limit or something. The biggest number that occurred to my aunt was four times in one day. I think that she thinks of that day as the worst day of her life.

So, does anyone know anything about this?

Hey Gaia,

It's an interesting question, I think I was wondering about this myself some time ago but it only intrigued me for about a few minutes only.

When I get to think about it, I don't think that there is actually any sort of limit here. I mean, people get panic attacks for no reason, even the smallest things can make them have a panic attack. So basically, as soon as this person's panic attack ends, he or she is immediately prone to having another panic attack. So if a dozen panic attacks can fit in 24 hours, then the limit is a dozen panic attacks per day.

I would go along with what the person above me just wrote, I don't think that there's a limit to this because you never know when can something trigger your panic attacks. If you are really into finding out exactly how many panic attacks is a person capable of having in a day, then you need to do some math. Take 24 hours, and divide it with the average length of a panic attack. That will give you an answer to your question in case that a person doesn't spend a single minute a day while not having any panic attacks.

I think that I can agree with you guys as well, it makes sense what you just wrote. I'm not really into math, I mean, I like things to be very precise and if I calculate it as you just wrote, it wouldn't be even as close to a precise answer (in this case, with my question, I don't believe that there is a precise answer actually).

At least now I know that there isn't a fixed number for how many panic attacks can someone have in one day. I mean, that is of course, if you guys are right about this.

Well, a lot of people don't have panic attacks every day, or every week, so the cases when a person has more than, let's say two panic attacks a day are really, really rare. Regarding that, you can't probably try and calculate in the way that you guys wrote above to determine the approximate number of panic attacks that a person can have each day. I would say that three panic attacks a day are probably the maximum. However, this is just my opinion so it doesn't really have to mean that I am right, although I think that I am.

Hi there folks. I believe that you can have numerous panic attacks in one day. There is no limit, like someone already told you. My wife really had problems with it. Actually, ex - wife. She abandoned me because of it, because of those constant panic attacks even if I was here with her all the time. She had up to 7 panic attacks during one day and I am not sure still why this was happening. In the morning she was OK, I don't know what was like her behavior when she was at the job, but as soon as she comes home she started to have those panic attacks. She never wanted to visit her doctor...And I really didn't know what to do about it.

I do agree that there are no rules about it. You can have a numerous of them and for example, next year you can have one or not even one. It depends and it is not quite easy to tell more about it. I am telling you this because I do have problems with those panic attacks and actually mine vary occasionally. I notice that usually in the middle of the nigh I have an attacks for couple of times in week. I can tell you that this is so annoying and that because of those attacks it is very hard for me to fall asleep again. 

I understand what you are telling me. My wife had them from 5 pm, and very often she was waking up and she had them as well. But I think that those were not classical panic attacks - those were panic attacks where she was telling me that everything is my fault, that it is my fault because she is feeling this way. It was also very hard for her to go back to the sleep because of it. I couldn't sleep as well. I don't know, but I am sure that someone who is an expert can help you fight against it. My ex wife didn't want to have that kind of help...