Hi, I suffer from panic disorder, and I often feel weird before having an attack. Yesterday, when I was getting into the bus, I felt dizzy and chilly. My hands started tingling, and I thought I was going to faint. I went immediately to doctor, and he said that I’m probably suffering from hypervenalation during the panic attacks. What is the difference between this condition and ordinary panic?

Hi, my sister was diagnosed with the same condition as you. You probably missunderstud your doctor, because the name of this condition is hyperventilation, and not hipervenalation. The difference between these two disorders, is that people who suffer from hyperventilation during the panic attacks have faster or deeper breathing, and they are reducing carbon dioxide concentration of the blood below normal. That’s why you feel like you’re going to pass out, and like your hands are tingling. Other symptoms are dizziness, headache and slurred speech. My sister always complaines that she has to struggle with the breathing technique, and it’s very hard to me when I don’t know how to help her. Once she fainted in my arms, and I thought I would faint along with her. You both have to learn that in these situations, when you have a panic attack, the most important thing is to remind yourself to breathe and to try to calm down.