My wife and I wanted to have a baby for a while. Finally, we did it. She is now 5 months pregnant. But now (I don't want to sound horrible) I have a feeling like I am living with some other woman. I understand that she is pregnant and that her hormones are a little bit wild, but she is totally different person. I noticed that she is having some panic attacks as well. She can't control them and I don't know how to help her. I hate when I see her in this condition. What are the causes of panic attacks in pregnancy?

I am sorry Guest but there aren't any clear reasons why anybody experiences panic attacks, whether they are pregnant or not, it's the same, the cause of panic attacks remains unknown even today. I guess it has a lot to do with hormones and with the stress that this person is dealing with. If your wife has any worries about anything, anything that could make her feel stressed, you should help her with that so that she doesn't have to think about it. However, if these attacks keep happening again, I guess that you should seek some professional help and maybe consult with a doctor.

Nina is right, the causes of panic attacks are unknown but she should talk to her doctor in order to see if her baby is in any kind of danger because of these panic attacks that she is experiencing. These panic attacks could lead to some additional things so it is better for her to just go and talk to her doctor in order to see if everything else is okay and to maybe get some kind of treatment for her panic attacks.

How is your wife dealing with these panic attacks, you should be there for her while all of this is happening.

There is no explanation why do panic attacks occur. But if you ask me, I guess that they happen because of an enormous fear towards something. Is your wife afraid of something? Maybe she is scared that something might go wrong because you have been trying for so long to have a baby. Have you tried to talk to her about this? She needs your support even though she might not show it openly. You can always go and talk to her doctor but I don't think that the doctor will be able to help her with this matter, you know.

This was happening to me when I was pregnant for the second time, it was freaking me out, even more because it didn't happen while I was pregnant for the first time. I went to talk to my doctor about it and he told me that this sometimes happens to women who are pregnant and that he doesn't really know why does it happen. He just told me that it will go away on its own (as it did) and that it cannot harm my baby in any way. Can you imagine what a big relief it was to hear those things from him?

It is a totally new experience for a woman and it is totally normal that she is scared. Panic attacks can happen occasionally and that doesn't mean that they won't go away. But even if they will, they should be controlled. 

Doctor needs to determine which type of panic attack she has. Panic attacks generally are not dangerous on their own, but they can lead to physical and mental stress and that could be dangerous. No one can tell you why those panic attacks are happening - it is mysterious even for the doctors, so it is important to maintain calm. 

Hi there. Thank you so much. I won't leave her alone, that is for sure. But she refuses to see her doctor telling me that she is feeling OK but that she is just a little bit worried that she is doing something differently than any other pregnant woman. I told her that every pregnant woman is different and that this should not affect her. But now I don't know what to do and how to convince her to see the doctor, because I am also very scared of those mental issues that can happen to her. Both of us are really excited about becoming the parents. 

Talk to her slowly about this and tell her that she is doing this because of the baby. That doesn't have to mean that she is crazy or something.

At some point, I think that you were talking too much with her about this, so she knows that those panic attacks can lead to it. That is wrong step.

About the causes, it is usually caused by hormonal fluctuations  and that is the most commonly accepted reason for panic attacks during pregnancy. When the body goes through immense hormonal fluctuations, panic attacks appear more common. Her hormones are generally wild a little bit and you should understand this. 

I remember those times. I had mild panic attacks and I was so scared because of it. I didn't want to wait a thing, so I went to talk to the expert immediately. He told me that it is normal that anxiety and panic attacks in pregnancy come out of nowhere, but that we should not get so much stressed about this. We should try to relax and think how this condition will go away. So, whenever you feel like you are going to have a panic attack, you should try to relax as much as possible. For example, find some motivational quote that can help you think positively. Also, you need to keep one thing on your mind - you are not alone in this!