It seems weird that the two blood tests that check your blood glucose would have such different numerical results.  My a1c is about 9 and my sugars run between 130 to 190 depending on the time of day.  I don't knnow why a person has to have so many blood tests.  Pick one and be done with it, is whaat I think.  I wonder if anyone knows the difference between them. Is one better than the otehr?   I would rather have a blood test once in a while than evvery day. 

The two tests have their own special determinants that let the doctor know A) how your blood sugars run on a daily basis and B) the average that they are running over a course of the prior three months.  It is a good thing for you to watch your blood sugars using your testing meter so that you know that your bgs are in range.  If something is amiss, you will catch it quickly.  With the A1c, this shows the doctor definitively that your blood sugars are in the range they should be.  I think part of this test helps the doctor know if a patient is truly compliant with the diabetic therapy or not.  Many people try to be more compliant with their diet a few weeks before the A1c is done.  This will not fool the test since it takes the average of all blood sugars over the three months tested.  I will have to say though that both tests have value and need to be done. 

I always wondered about those tests too and I didn’t want to have to stick myself all the time jus to have a test in 3 months. I guess I can see why both are needed for our diabetes management.