Hello all, I'm planning a pregnancy and I need to reduce my hba1c. Right now my hba1c is 8.1 and I'm trying to get to a 6. It's been about 3 months and I'm in the high 7s so I'm having problems. Getting to a 6 seems rather impossible at the moment. Has anyone out there been in this position? Where you able to correct the problem and if so how? I know I probably need to exercise more than I do but I work long hours and find it difficult to set aside time. And, my diet certainly needs work. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there. The same thing happened to me when I was diagnosed with lower hemoglobin A1C levels. The first thing that I was on my mind is that I will never be able to control it so that I will never be able to get pregnant.  It is important to know that. if you are planning to become pregnant, you should be offered an HbA1c measurement on a monthly basis to help monitor your blood glucose control which is really important. If you are reaching the target will help to minimize the risk of the baby developing the risk of congenital malformations. 

Hello, I'm not planning a pregnancy at the moment but I've been in the high 7s for several years. Just a few months ago I tried lowering my carb intake from 250/day to 90/day and I came down to 6.6 which I was amazed. It really is all about those carbs. I'm carb counting every day. I've also found that if I have a small snack before I go to bed I don't get those fasting highs I used to get. So my sugars are good at night and the morning. I wish I had know about this before. I talked with a dietitian at that time and everything has been fine. See if you can't get your carbs below 100g. I have no doubt that your hba1c score will come down quickly. Not only that, I lost weight which I had been trying to do for years and couldn't. I was up around 225 pounds and now I'm at 135. I have looked this good in years. I don't know if your over weight or not but low carb diets work wonders for the weight situation. I know you must be excited getting ready to start a family. I wish all the best for you.