I don't understand why I have to have the HbA1c done when I keep track of my fasting score at home.  What is the significance of the fasting score versus HbA1c anyway?  I stick myself enough at home then the doc wants me in to have a blood test that hurts a lot worse.  I get sick of it. So can someone explain why I need these?  Also the fasting is always a different result every day so what gives?  And if the HbA1c is more accurate, why do testing at home?

The test for HbA1c is done to check for a certain value that reflects how your blood sugars have been doing for the last 3 months.  If the value is high, it indicates that your blood sugars are running in a certain range.  For instance, a value of 7.0 shows that a person is having higher than 130 in blood sugars on a consistent basis, which is harmful to the body.  The higher the A1c, the greater the concern for organ damage from the excess glucose in the body, especially for a long period of time.  

I still don’t get it.  So an A1c value is equal to a value in blood glucose monitoring at home.  It seems it is just an extra cost to have the lab work done when you are doing the same type of thing at home.  I don’t think it is needed.  I quit having them done a long time ago.  I just watch my glucose levels at home and if they are getting high, I just tweak my diet and usually I can get them under control again.  I wouldn’t waste my time if I were you.  The costs for the diabetic supplies are enough without having to have blood drawn every time you turn around.