I came home last night around 11 PM after working an event and had some arrhythmia, which I attributed to some alcohol even though I only had two drinks. I get these fairly regularly, especially around PMS and my period, but I've never sought treatment for them. A few moments later, I had another bigger heart flutter but this time it was accompanied by a quick pang in my upper back. Then right away I had some sweating (not too severe) and some breathing problems along with some burping (I did drink some last night and ate some spicy foods). I was so nervous about it that I only slept for four hours last night.

I've had anxiety attacks before, especially when I was in college, but this was the first one in a while. I've got some chest discomfort now underneath my ribcage (like right in the center of my body, just above my diaphragm) but nothing too out of the ordinary. I do feel better after I burp, but would heartburn last this long? Now I can't eat anything, I'm starving but it's like I can't even swallow.

I'm 22 (turning 23 shortly), work out three to five times a week, slightly overweight but I'm working on it, and I probably don't eat as well as I should and I've never smoked and only drink socially. I've got some family history of heart disease, but it's only been in adult males over 50. Should I get this checked out? The arrhythmia has never really bothered me before, just been sort of a nuisance, but I'm going out of town this weekend so peace of mind would be great.

Thanks!

Cardiac arrhythmia may predispose you to blood clot formation. This can cause stroke or tissue necrosis. Working out 3 to 5 times a week certainly would lower the risk of forming blood clots. Fish oil supplement and low dose aspirin therapy can lower the risk even further. I think you should get some blood work done -cholesterol profile, CRP, and so forth- to find out how healthy you actually are.

Hi: If it was just the arhythmia I wouldn't be too concerned. BUT when when you said the upperback and burping. I would like you too get checked out by a doctor ASAP. Women have different symptoms of heart problems then men. Heart Burn is VERY similar to heart problems, sometimes doctors even have difficulty figuring it out. So you will need an ECG - just too check out your heart rhythym.

There are SO many reasons why we get arythmias, hormones, anxiety, history, stress, etc. So it is best too get this checked out, because there are other things with it. Mention the sweating, burping, and back pain OK? It is probably a bit of anxiety and hormonal but better be safe than sorry. Let me know how you make out OK? Good luck hon!