I had a heart transplant in 1998. Cyclosporin, diabetes, and high blood pressure have damaged my kidneys. I'm 55 years old. I have been losing weight for the last 6 months. Walking has become a chore - I'm out of breath after 20 paces. If I walk more than that I get dizzy and feel sick on my stomach and have to sit down. My feet, ankles, and stomach are holding fluid. Most days my feet are so swollen I can't wear shoes. I feel sick all the time. Just ragged out. Stools have been like water for 6 months. My most recent labs were: Creatinine - 4.1 / Bun - 40 / Creatinine clearance (24 hour) - 33. My RBC and Iron Saturation are quite low. I had an A/V fistula done last month. I'm currently taking lasix 120 mg a day plus metolazone 25 every other day in addition to my "heart" meds. When is the right time to start dialysis? My current kidney doctor moved last week and told none of his patients he was doing so. I meet my "new" doctor next week. Will dialysis make me feel better and make my feet go down? Any advice would be appreciated...new to Kidney Disease

Hi there, my understanding is that dialysis should help your feet out a little since that has an effect on the fluids in your body, although I'm not totally sure. Can you report back when you find out? I'd like to hear. Thanks!