I'm 8 months post surgery. Ablation, hysteroscopy, D&C. Learned afterward of uterine polyps which were removed during ablation. Bleeding stopped within 6wks of surgery. However in last 3 months, cramping has returned and I'm experiencing pain I haven't known since childbirth. Bleeding started again, first as dark spotting, now is bright red, not even close to what 'period blood' would look like. Dr. says to maybe redo ablation, maybe hysterectomy. I'm seeing a pattern on this site on cramping after surgery. Has anyone else had polyps removed during ablation? Has anyone had to follow ablation with hysterectomy?

Ok, so I just had ultrasound. In addition to what I just mentioned, I'm also dealing with cysts on my ovaries (largest around 3cm), and I've got fibroids in my uterus (but no lining). Gad zooks! I've been looking around online and some sites suggest changes in diet, detoxification, acupuncture, and other various non-surgical methods to fix these problems I'm having. I'm guessing a hysterectomy will be in my future. Can anyone identify with all this mess?

I had the ablation done 2 years ago because I suffered from abnormal bleeding must of my period life. It turned out I had polyps removed during the procedure. Well about 2 weeks ago, I started spotting and now since friday major bleeding with clots. I went to the doctor and it seems that the lining of my uterus has returned and so have the polyps. We determine that another ablation would not be worth the effort and I am having a hysterectomy done. I am 45 years old and i have had a period since I was 9. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but my Mom and sister have also had this problem and both had hysterectomys. I am okay with it, I have my kids and grandkids now so it's not a big deal to me... For any female going through this I feel your frustration.... it's a terrible feeling not knowing when the bleeding is coming or going!

I had the procedure done June 26 in an outpatient facility. Totally under anesthesia. Everything was easy. A little cramping the rest of that day and since then the normal watery discharge. I had a fibroid and had to have that removed before my GYN would do this procedure. Then he was able to do the D&C and ablation. I was told not to have intercourse or use tampons until the discharge stopped. Every area will be different but I paid $360 for the anesthesiologist, $2100 for my GYN, and $2200 for the surgery center. My GYN called the next day to check on my recovery and told me not to hesitate to call him should I have any abnormal symtoms or bleeding. If you have any concerns you really should feel comfortable calling your GYN and asking. If you don't you should look for another Dr.
Not quite 5 weeks for me so I'll post later hopefully with good news.

I had an ablation in March along with D&C, Hysteroscopy and laproscopy. They removed a polyp and fibroid and did the ablation to prevent further polyps I was told. I had no problems for two months then I started having hot flashes at night. Then four months after I started spotting. I thought it was just what they said might be a light period. Then the cramping started along with my breast hurting. I don't know if my hormones are off or another polyp has formed causing my hormones to be off. I have an ultrasound scheduled tomorrow. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Your not alone.

I went to my obgyn today for a preop visit and along with the endometrial ablation I found out she is going to perform a hysteroscopy and d &c. I will be under general anesthesia thank goodness. She didnt mention hysterectomy at all if this did not curb my heavy bleeding. Would have rather had the hysterectomy since I have never wanted children. I will be 40 in July. She can't do an IUD because of the pain it will cause me. I couldn't handle the biopsy that was done by my previous obgyn. That made me cry and almost hyperventilate and my new doctor said she refused to put me thru that. I have to be put out and IUD is striclty an office visit. We are hoping the procedure takes but I know there is a possibility it may not. I've had horrible periods since age 10 and can't wait to find out what is acutally causing the bleeding. I have been bleeding non stop for over 40 days and she is as beweildered as I am. She thinks I have menorraghia but we won't know for sure til this surgery is done. She also said she would take pics for me to show me the progress of the procedure as well as before and after photos. I thought that was cool as this sort of stuff completely fascinates me.

It's been 2 years since my ablation procedure and I could not be happier. Every month afterwards brought less bleeding and less pain, until about one year went by and I barely had a period at all. Before the procedure I had to plan my life around my period. I had such heaving bleeding and I felt sick with cramps and nausea for 3 to 4 days, with my period lasting for up to 10 days. No period at all would be ideal, but I'll take 'barely noticing at all'. I've had such great results that my younger sister (37 years) who had normal periods decided to have the ablation done also. It's been 5 months for her and she hasnt seen a period since. I wanted to share my results so far and I hope for the best for all of you.

Well I'm becoming a bit distraught seeing as I was thinking I would stop bleeding and maybe spot here and there but I have yet to stop bleeding since the ablation. I have been bleeding continuously since March 22nd so that is now 68 days straight. It has been almost three weeks since my ablation and no end in sight. The bleeding was almost non existent but it was still there. The doctor completely stopped my birth control to see if the ablation took and now I'm bleeding much heavier and still get cramps almost daily. She is making me wait 6 months before I see her again but if the bleeding becomes severe like it was prior to my ablation I believe I should call my doctor but it's not at that point yet. Any suggestions would be of help. Thanks.

I had an ablation 1 and 1/2 years ago, I had no period for 1 year then 2 weeks ago started a period, and have had it for 16 days straight, I cant stand it anymore. I am 49 years old and the doctor said not to worry only if its heavy, well its still here, and I don't see it going away....anyone have any comments. Thanks

Well, I did end up getting my period and its been heavy for 3 days. This is the first period I've actually had since I stopped bleeding after the ablation on May 11th. I dont know if it will get lighter but my periods always started light and were heavy day 2, day3 and day 4. Now its just heavy day 1, day2 and day 3 and i'm back to wearing a pad and a tampon which I thought would have ended once I had the ablation done. I hope in the coming months it will get lighter and lighter and hopefully I will no longer have a period in the future.

BE AWARE:  If you begin bleeding months or years after an ablation, there is a chance it could be from a cancerous growth.  This happened to me.  I had a history of benign endometrial polyps.  Four years ago I had an ablation.  A few months ago, I started having light bleeding, which I thought was my period again.  Then I started "spotting" between these "periods."  Figured I needed a polyp removed again.  This time the polyp was cancerous and I had a complete hysterectomy a month ago today. 

DON'T IGNORE ANY BLEEDING THAT SEEMS STRANGE TO YOU!  EVEN AFTER AN ABLATION.

Its a lot of money, just wondering is that because you dont have insurance that time?

WHERE did you have this done?!?!? My hospital charged $28,000!!! - and yes it WAS outpatient. I did have a super fab (sarcasm) health insurance plan with a $10,000 deductible so it only cost me $10,000....

Thanks for the good report. =) Hope you're still having success. I had an ablation 10 months ago. Although I still have my periods every month, it's 85% lighter.... =)

This sounds like me. Over two years ago I had the ablation and about three weeks ago I started spotting and having brown blood and bright red blood. The cramps are all the time. I go in on Tuesday to have three polyps removed. I'm worried that they might be cancer because my Doctor said he was concerned. I am 48 years old. I just can't stop thinking about this. Did you have to go through chemo ?