My mother told me that it is possible that post-ligation and post-ablation syndrome occur. She said it happens when a patient has had a tubal ligation and undergoes to alternative endometrial ablation. I wonder if that is an alternative to tubal ligation. I cannot say I understand it well, so I would like to hear more. I would appreciate any info you might share with me. I would like also to hear more about this process called endometrial ablation, known as alternative to tubal ligation.

Important thing you have to know about this is that rarely, bleeding will return in the uterine cornua or the interstitial portion or the tube, and flow retrograde into the blocked tube. This results in distention and severe cyclical pain involving either lower quadrant of patient. Visualization of the tube at laparoscopy with tubal ligation shows a distended discolored tube similar in appearance to an ectopic pregnancy. Therapy is aimed at removing the fallopian tube, generally laparoscopically, and this syndrome is quite rare. That is why tubal ligation should not be considered a contraindication to alternative as endometrial ablation. Rather, this syndrome should be kept in mind in the patient presenting often months after the ablation with severe lower quadrant pain that might occur. Alternative to tubal ligation known as endometrial ablation marks the first advance in the surgical treatment of menorrhagia since hysterectomy. This procedure was initially done with the neodinium-yag laser over fifteen years ago. In the last seven to eight years, this surgical therapy has expanded so that many practicing gynecologists and most residents are trained for doing this.