I am a 25 year old male nonsmoker. There is a history of heart problems in my family (my father and grandfather on my father's side both died of heart conditions). I have Scheuermann's disease, but as far as I know, it's not severe. I've been experiencing a heavy feeling in my chest, breathing difficulties, and a numb and tingling sensation in my left arm. I went to see a doctor last week, and she said that it was probably just muscle tension, but I feel her examination was too shallow for her to exclude the more serious conditions that are characterized by those symptoms.

2 months ago: I started waking up in the morning with my left arm numb and tingly. I'm a very quiet sleeper, I don't toss and turn much, so if I fall asleep with my body in a position, I usually also wake up in that position as well. Since I usually sleep on my left side, I figured my arm was just being squished, so I started sleeping on my right side. Not only did the numbness persist, but it actually increased. Now the numbness, though still worst in the mornings, persisted all through the day.

1 month ago: The numbness got even worse, and started interfering with my typing and other use of my left hand. I also started feeling a heavy weight on my chest. It's not a pain, as such. It feels like there is a heavy box placed on my chest. It's there all the time, and it makes it difficult for me to breathe. I have to force the air into my lungs. I'm also experiencing a heightened susceptibility to numbness in other parts of my body. If I sit with my legs crossed, for example, the top leg will go numb. It's still worst in my left arm though.

1 week ago: I went to see my doctor. She asked me to stretch my arms over my head, and she took my pulse, The whole consultation took around 5 minutes, and then she said it was probably just muscle tension, and that I should get back to her in a month if the condition persisted. She also said it was unlikely to be connected to Scheuermann's.

I was initially relieved that it was just muscle tension, but afterwards, I started thinking that maybe my examination wasn't as rigorous as it could have been. She took one look at me, tugged on my left arm, and then made her call. I mean, what is she? Psychic? No matter how good a doctor is, how can they make a diagnosis after just tugging on your arm? And when I search for numbness in the left arm, and a heavy feeling feeling in the chest, muscle tension is not exactly the first thing that comes up. Considering the severity of the conditions that are usually associated with symptoms like these, I can't let it go with just a five minute examination.

Am I right to doubt my doctor's conclusion, or should I trust her ability to make a speedy diagnosis?

i have the same thing...did you find out what is was?

I think you might want to get a second opinion! I know that it's not always good to second-guess your doctor, but it's your health. Your symptoms sound indicative of a heart condition that needs to be taken care of, so you should go see someone else and make sure that they take a good look at you. I have had bad experiences with physicians before, and I actually insisted on a second opinion once simply because the physician didn't look at what I wanted him to see. The second doctor was much nicer, and she made me feel reassured, even though her diagnosis was the same. Let us know how it goes, okay?

I also suggest getting a second opinion. I have been having similar symptoms - heavy tight feeling in chest, tingling in left arm and shortness o breath. it feels fine if I'm sleeping or if I don't move....but when i am active, the chest feels incredibly heavy. the doctor said it is most likely costochondritis but it has gone on or 3 weeks and i'm not convinced this is correct. i have seen an urgent care physician and my primary care doc and i asked to be referred to a cardiologist and she wants me to come in first and "discuss".

This is clearly anxiety. I dont even have to even see your arm to know. try to relax the muscles & do plenty of exercise.

I presented to my chiropractor with left arm numbness and hard of breathing. Also my ribs kept popping out and rotating in wrong. Now I find I may have Scheuermann’s as well. The vertebra are pressing down on nerves that connect to your arm. Do you also get sudden shocks, like static electricity in that arm? Because I do. Then I discovered my dad has this disease. Waiting on X-rays for confirmation. Description made sense to me. We'll see..I'm pretty scared actually, what does this mean for my future? I'm in pain constantly now :( and my case would be mild. Barely noticeable, but it just now got agitated at 26. Will be the first time I'm diagnosed if I am. Scared

I came across this blog while Googling for "right arm heaviness/numbness" and not only found this post bizarre because both your father and grandfather died of heart conditions (so did mine - both due to unawareness of unfamiliar heart condition) but because the people responding (MissTrish85) stuck out to me because my name is Trish also and I am 26 years old. Call me crazy, but I totally believe we stumble across things f or a reason. I have the numbness, difficulty breathing, leg weakness/numbness, electricity issues on top of my diagnosis of Marfan Syndrome (my heart condition) and most recently being considered to have MS, due to my above symptoms, including a list of others. Have you had any luck in your diagnosis? This arm numbness/heaviness is the worst it has ever been and beginning to freak me out. I just keep shaking my arm hoping it will snap out of it!