A few days ago I noticed a sharp, stabbing pain in my throat, radiating to the back of my neck (!!! weird !!!) while I was drinking something cold. I didn't think much of it until the next cold drink, when it happened again. It's now been going on for several days. I don't have a sore throat, and it doesnt hurt to swallow warm or hot liquids, or cold FIZZY liquids, I think the fizz might somehow counteract it? I don't have a virus, or swollen glands....any idea what this could be?
I have been diagnosed with acid reflux for many many years....but it's never caused a symptom like this. If it doesnt clear up in a few days I will have to see my doctor, but that's such a hassle.

Does this ring any kind of bell for anyone here?

Hi! It must be related to the acid reflux you've been diagnosed with. Yes, you should see your doctor if it doesn't clear up in a few days.

Hi! I was wondering if you ever found out what was causing this problem, because I just started experiencing the same thing! It has happened to me twice and like you said the first time I just kind of brushed it off as a freak thing, but then a few days later it happened again! Each time it happened, I was drinking a cold Frappe drink from McDonalds. My throat would feel really cold and painful almost like a sharp stabbing feeling, then my chest started to hurt/tighten up, and then the pain would radiate to the back of my neck. For me the incident probably lasted about a minute, but the pain is pretty intense and seems to come out of nowhere. I don't know if it was just some kind of really weird brain freeze type thing or what because I'm almost positive I don't have acid reflex like April O. said could have caused it. So, if you have figured out why this is happening I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out too, and if not I guess it is comforting to know someone else has gone through the same thing, because I searched the internet and your experience was the only one that sounded like mine.

Thanks!

I never did find out. It just kind of stopped on it's own after a couple of weeks.

Hmm..that is strange...Thanks anyways though :)

Augh! Mine does this all the time when I drink cold things... In fact, it just happened about 30 minutes ago when I got a strawberry fruitista freeze from Taco Bell. :( 

Oh, my gosh!! This happens to me only SOMETIMES, but when it does, the pain is out of this world!!! MoonChild8, you described it just as it happens to me. I still drink cold Frappe drinks but in the back of my head, I am thinking, "please Lord don't me get that pain"! Hopefully it is not anything really serious!!! Have a great day : {

hi,did you find out about the throat thing? because its been happening to me too! when i drink cold tap water it feels like i just drank a ICEE!..thanks..

It just went away on it's own, maybe a week or two later. Never did figure it out.

I have always had “brain freeze” in my throat. Same feeling- sharp & extremely painful. The other night I had
a frozen drink and my chest & back “froze” & now I am drinking hot coffee- same sensation in my chest. I guess I need to avoid extremely cold and hot drinks

Why? Why must it be related to acid reflux? What insights, experiences, or training do you have to offer that would let you make that determination without seeing the person in person? Are you saying there is no possibility that it could be something else? Your logical approach to this is the person has condition A therefore can't have condition B? They can only have condition A? Please offer an explanation for your arriving at a diagnosis of acid reflux and can't possibly be anything else.

why ask so many questions

Oh my goodness I get the exact same symptoms but only when I drink mcdonalds frapp. The first time it happened I was driving felt as though I was having a heart attack. Since that time I get it randomly even if I'm not drinking anything. Wish I never had that frappe from McDonald's. Never had an issue till that.

Thats wierd because ive been having exact symptoms for the padt 5 days only cold water hurts but nothing else

I to have this same symptom and I also have acid reflux but I can't imagine it having anything to do with that. I get a sharp pain on the right side of the back of my throat when drinking something cold. Doesn't hurt to swallow food or Any other liquids unless it's cold. It almost feels like a piece of glass stuck in my throat is the only thing I can relate to when drinking cold fluids. It's in a weird spot and I can barely feel it messing with my right inner ear. If you go to the doc please let me know what they say because my doc is 2 hours away. Thanks!