I read somewhere that a nice turkey only needs a few hours simmer time. This sounds great if it is true, but I need to get a bit of an idea about the herbs I put in there as well. I like a thick broth with lots of flavor. How do I achieve this?

Oh no! I like to simmer mine at the very least until the bones have turned soft. Since I use a crockpot, it may take longer than for other people. But I have been known to simmer mine for two to four days - definitely not a few hours!!! As far the herbs, I think thyme, garlic, oregano are very nice.

Thank you for your answer! That does sound like a whole 'nother type of thing! No quick meal for us then! And can you tell me more about crockpots? I have been tempted to buy one in the past but have never got around to it somehow, or perhaps I am just afraid I will never use it.