An old friend from High School is coming to stay with my family for the weekend. I'm looking forward to it, as I haven't seen him in over 10 years now. He always used to be the weird one in our class, and when he went vegetarian we all said that was just a phase he would quickly grow out of. Well, guess what? We were wrong! His is still a vegetarian now. I wanted to make him some vegetable soup. What herbs do you think I should put in?

What a lovely story you have there! I love bean soup myself, either with fresh green beans if they are in season, or otherwise I use a nice dried bean mixture. With vegetable broth, some carrots, onions and leeks, all you will need in the way of herbs is garlic, thyme, some chillies, cumin and cloves.

I often put a basil leaf in my home made soup while it is cooking :)

mixed herbs and white pepper you can add to most soups the white pepper is lovely or as in the name of the soup carrot and corander, tomato and basil, and parsley to any soup