I always enjoy reading books about the occult and about witchcraft, and one book that I recently enjoyed mentioned quite a lot about herbs for witchcraft. Yes, I commute to work two hours a day so I get to read a lot on the train over to work! Anyway, I was hoping someone could tell me if herbs for witchcraft are really used, in the real world, and not just in books?

Yes we use herbs with the specific properties we are looking for much in the same way doctors use medicine for instance I use peppermint tea to calm my stomach but I say a prayer to the plant which it came from and ask the gods for blessings. I will also use mugwort to regulate my period as well as help me with dream work. Sometimes we use herbs to create incense with a specific purpose such as to clear the energies or put it in a locket to protect us as we travel. I'm not sure which book you are reading but these are the sort of things I personal do.
Brightest blessings.