a few weeks ago i found out that my pap smear results were abnormal. a few days ago i found out that i tested positive for high risk hpv. i have had several people try to explain this to me but still i am confused. can someone please describe this to me? is this very bad? is this like an STD? I feel like such a w**** for testing positive for high risk hpv. this sounds so terrible and i can't seem to stop crying.

Human Papilloma Virus is contracted sexually. 75% of all women likely have had it and don't even know. They now have a vaccine for it, do not worry do not feel like a w****. For all you know it could be someone that your significant other was with before you that had it.

Go see your doctor or someone that can help you with a vaccine! Good luck and keep us posted

I would have to disagree about the vaccine and the whole HPV question. I do agree though that you shouldn’t feel like a w**** because this can happen to literally anyone. I myself have HPV and I have no idea from whom I contracted it although I had only 4 sexual partners and I am 27.

The vaccine mentioned is for preventing contraction of HPV virus and it won’t do anything for those who already have HPV, so the vaccine would be useless in your case. There are, however, different treatments, to get rid of HPV lesions but not HPV because HPV is a virus and it stays forever in our bodies, in spine although sometimes the immune system could get rid of the virus itself.

There are low and high risk HPVs. The risk is associated with the risk of developing cervical cancer as HPV is one of the major causes of cervical cancer. There are over 100 strains of HPV virus and low-risk HPV cause genital warts while high-risk HPV indicate that you have bigger chances of contracting cervical cancer. However, this doesn’t mean that you will because they don’t always lead to cancer.

Abnormal cells on cervix grow very slowly and by regular follow-ups you can prevent cancer from developing. It is essential that you listen to your gynecologist and come to the appointment in three months if this is what s/he said or undergo a treatment they suggested.

Now, when you have all the information, don’t just sit there and cry but do continue normally with your life and keep in touch with your doctor, regularly investigating what is going on with the abnormal cells.

They may even go away on their own, it is what happened to me, my last two follow-ups showed I was clear without a treatment.

I am not a member of this website, but I decided to leave you a comment because I understand. HPV is an STD, so it can be transmitted to your sexual partner. HPV is a virus caused by sexual contact with someone whom carries the virus. It can be treated, but not with drugs (Once you have it, you have it). Over a time period the virus began to show up inside your cervix as abnormal cells. Once one received an abnormal pap they should began treatment as soon as possible to find out if it is a mild or high grade dysplasia. I know a bit about it because I am going through the process for treatment at this time. I took a pap smear and I received the bad news. Recently I found out that I have HIGH-RISK HPV...of course a form of genital worts, which is an STD. I sought for a second opinion and I found a wonderful doctor who explained every procedure to me. First, I received a colposcopy along with a biopsy. The two procedure is to remove the abnormal cells of the cervix. The procedure is a bit uncomfortable, but it is necessary. Now, the next step is to just to monitor me over my lifetime. HPV is nothing to really really really to stress over. If you have detected the virus early your body have a higher chance of fighting it off itself. To jump start your body, you will need to have proper nutrients such as: multivitamins, fruits, and vegs. Exercise and stay healthy. This will jump start your immune system, so that it will help you rid yourself of the virus. Develop a close relationship with your doctor and never never miss a pap smear. So don't cry over this small step, just know that it is time to start taking better care of yourself when it comes to the "Sexual YOU". That means start using condoms and began less risky sex. We have all seen those movies where the woman is the seductive one and sex appears to be the greatest.s.So began looking towards a new less stressful YOU. Stress makes your immune system weak, stop crying and fight this because unlike yourself, YOU are not alone.

Lori:

I just tested positive for High Risk HPV and negative culture(meaning that I have no infection so far). I just wanted to know what you did to overcome that virus that you tested negative after a while. How long did it take to test negative? How did you do in the mean time? I really appreciate to hear anybody's story who was once infected with high risk hpv and is now recovered from it. I can't stop thinking of this for days!

Lori wrote:

bukowski16 wrote:

Hi guest,

I didn't do anything. I was tested twice by two different hospitals and tested positive but very small that should be observed.

Then I went abroad and about 6 months after my last check-up, I was tested again and found no hpv condiloma. Mine were never outer condiloma, but inner on vaginal walls.

I haven't check them two years after but then I got pregnant and saw my gyn (a 4th different doc who looked at me for condiloma) and found none.

It is said that in time HPV can disappear as our own immune system takes care of it. A friend of mine who has just finished med school studied about it.

I would like to correct this persons reply, high risk hpv does not mean genital warts, it means you are at a high risk for cervical cancer. I have high risk and have been told I'm at risk for cervical cancer.