21/Female

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with HPV. Fortunetly, it was a very mild case so I never got the warts etc., but did have to get bad cells burned out once. I have had 3 pap test since then, and they have all came back as normal. Now I am in a serious relationship with someone and plan on marrying him. Can this come back or reoccur? Or is it gone for good? It worries me half to death! I have never told him about me having this because every since him and I have been together, my paps have been normal. I just dont want it to come back or anything and have to worry about him getting it,etc.?

Please give me feedback! Thanks you in advance!

i also tested positive for hpv not too long ago.
and am also in a serious realationship
i told my boyfriend about it and we both read about it
i also had to get the cells burnt out last week actually,
but i think you should just tell him. and tell him the risk
and i think if he really loves you he'll stay with you.
because in most cases hpv isnt a big deal for men anyways.

I tested positive for HPV 6 years ago. I had a flat sore on the inside of my vagina by my labia. This and vaginal bleeding during intercourse caused concern and I saw my doctor. I had a colposcopy done and had to have a cone biopsy of 3 different areas of my cervix. (Quite painful since it is done with no anesthesia.) Since then I have had to endure a pap every 6 months and have had 4 coloposcopies in the following years since my original diagnosis. I have tested negative for HPV for the last 2-3 years and finally had a normal pap 6 months ago. However, I am again showing the same symptoms I did 6 years ago and have made an appointment to see my GYN next week. With the same partner for the past 2 years. Good luck.

i am 16 and was diagnosed with HPV when i was 14. i really need to know if it goes away but so far ive read thru like 10 different sites and it looks like no one knows. most of the answers are leaning towards no though...basically i ruined my life at 14 and im never gonna have a normal relationship for the rest of my life. :'( im not trying to blam this on anyone trust me i know i did this to myself. ive spent the last 2 years crying and wondering if it would ever go away. ive had normal paps ever since the one that was positive for HPV. i dont know what to do anymore ive been going out with my bf for about 7 months now and i trust him completly and he wants to have sex but im so afraid of giving it to him. and he doesnt know i have it either. all i keep thinking about is ruining his life with it. and i dont think i can do that to him.

Visit this website for peace of mind...
Once your pap comes back normal, that strand of HPV you had will not come back because your body has already developed anti-bodies for it and is immune, but you can get infected by another strand, so be safe and get vaccinated to lower the risk of that happening...

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I was just found out I have Hpv. I was in a six year realationship . At first i was very up set . But after reading about it I am feeling a little better about this . i have to go get them brunt off in the next week or two .They look very bad. I can't be mad at anyone but myself becuse i should have never trust anyone . I still cry some times but i will be ok in due time. I dont see myself having sex anytime soon with anyone. I will never talk to him again & now i here he has a nother girlfriend.. wow i wonder if she know what he has . i pray for him & her.. what is done in the dark comes to light

I'll tell you my story first. I was alerted to abnormal cells 4 years ago, caused by HPV. I had a colposcopy to have them removed. Over the next year I had to had a PAP every 3 months to make sure that I was clear. And I was. After a year of being clear, the doctor informed me that I was free and clear to come back at my normal yearly intervals for a normal PAP check up... just like everyone else.

I did extensive reading on HPV because I felt like a horrible person for it... and I hated whoever gave it to me. One, men don't know they have... they can't be tested for it because no certified test exists for them. So don't blame them. Two, your body's immune system eventually fights it off (normally within one or two years). If it has been awhile and those cells are not coming back (like your doctor tells you that you only need your normal check ups now) then it most likely is clear. Three, once that particular strand clears... you can't get it to come back. BUT there are over 40 different strands of HPV, so catching a different is highly likely.

I liken HPV to the flu. You can catch it over and over again, but the flu you had last week isn't going to come back and make you sick. Also, while HPV can be serious, it is only serious when women do not get their yearly PAP smears. Cervical cancer grows very very slowly. So catching it before it becomes cancer is almost guaranteed if you get check-ups. So just like the flu, if you don't treat the symptoms, then yes, it can be serious, otherwise, your immune system will take over and heal itself.

Another important thing to remember, the strand that causes cervical cancer does not cause genital warts, or vice versa. You would have to catch both strands to be at risk for both. And only one out of the 40 strands causes genital warts, while 3 or 4 strands cause cervical cancer. The rest do nothing, which is why you don't get tested for it unless you show signs of cervical cancer or genital warts.

If you are worried about passing this one to your partner... remember... it causes no effects in healthy males (due to men not having a cervix haha) unless you have the genital warts strand.

I was lucky. I had the strand that causes cervical cancer. I had the bad cells removed and I quit smoking to raise my immune system to increase my chances of it going away. And it did. Now I just focus on continuing to stay healthy and not catching it again.

I would also like to stress that if you are concerned about catching it again, use a condom every time. While it doesn't mean you won't catch it, it reduces your chances 70%. Also, keep your body healthy. Don't smoke, exercise, and eat right. Your immune system fights it off and if your body isn't healthy it can't do its job.

All my information has come from reputable sources such as the CDC. Don't believe everything you hear on the subject and don't beat yourself up over it. No one's life is ruined. Get healthy, continue on. Be smart in the future.

Like many of you, I was just recently diagnosed with HPV after having normal pap smears for years. I am 36 years old and in a committed relationship. I'm confused and not sure if I was the carrier or my boyfriend. Regardless, I am scared to death to have sex now and worried that I will become re-infected. I do not want to have to go through a LEEP procedure again. I was CN1 and CN2 but now am showing nothing. Can I become reinfected from him? Is there something he can do to be treated or tested? I received a clean bill of health from the doctor this week after having the LEEP 3 weeks ago. I'm going back in 5-6 months for another PAP. Any advice? It is so embarrassing and I'm not sure who to ask or believe. Thanks.

Reading your information not only gave me a piece of mind but I learned things the doctors didnt tell me. I have told so far I will need to have the cells removed because my results were very very bad. They said they were precancerous, and I am really scared. I want to fix this and I will make sure it will never happen again. I also heard there is a shot well will that be effective or no? I want to strengthen my immune system and I am learning some ways how. I know I sound so stupid but I am so up set and wish I could go back in time. Im only 21 and all i want to do is live a healthy life. One thing I dont understand is why you say you are lucky to have had had the strand that causes cancer? I dont feel lucky. I am very safe now and I was very open with my boyfriend and if anything it brought us closer. Again I am glad I came across your post because I feel a little better.

okay so i just got diagnosed with High Risk HPV i have no idea how because im faithful to my boyfriend of 19 months. i dont think he's ever had intercorse with anyone else but i do believe he's foreplayed with other females. i dont know what to do i cant stop crying. my doctor told me i am at high risk. what i dont understand is how did my Pap come up normal but i tested positive for hpv? should i tell my boyfriend to get checked? and once i do get treated for hpv what are the chances it will come back? PLEASE HELP ME. this is the man i want to marry some day, i dont want to ruin his life and put him at risk :(

I know this is late, but I actually asked this question (I felt stupid asking it for some reason, but was reassured it was a perfectly common concern). He will have the same strand as you, and when your body fights it off you will not be reinfected with the same strand. I am in a committed relationship and was concerned about the same thing.

Hi everyone! I was doing some research because like many of you, I have questions! At the age of 16 I was diagnosed with HPV. I FREAKED out, because at the time, all I knew was that it was the number one cause of Cervical Cancer. I was in a state of shock, because my pediatrician had suggested that I take the Guardisil shot... which I did. Anyways, after my pap smear my OBGYN told me he seen an enormous amont of pre-cancerous cells in my uterus. I was once again devestated! My grandmother had cervical cancer and I was nervous. They did a conization of my uterus and got all the bad cells out. Now at the age of 20 I am expierencing HORRIBLE plantars warts. They occur in my feet in the same place that I have once had them surgically removed. My question to you all is can you get them in your fingers? I have a painful spot on my pinky finger that hurts just like my feet do. My other question is, is it possible to "outgrow" the HPV virus? I have had normal pap smears since the first one... And like I said I never had genital warts...

Hey Everyone,

Nice to get some feedback from all of you. I just was diagnosed with HPV about 5 months ago and i am a 24 year old male. Im not sure where or who gave it to me. I went to see a butt specialist and it was positive. I went into surgery 4 days later which i under went Anesthesia, because i had little warts further up my rectum which had to get removed. My after affects of the surgery were somewhat painful, but i had pain killers which helped alot. Using the bathroom was difficult the first 2 weeks, taking stool softeners and senakot. I also had to eat high fiber foods and liquids. I was able to use the bathroom normally after 2 weeks,the bleeding a week and a half later. I went back for a check up and i had new warts by the ridge of the anus.  He burnt them off, a little painful but do able. I am headed back for another check up 10 days later, i have 2 bumps that are new. Im not sure what he will tell me tomorrow. I will let you know thanks!

Question: Does anyone else have a itchy sensation where the warts are? My itch urges become really bad. Please let me know thanks

Stop torturing yourself. You will have a healthy sex life & relationships. About 90 % of HPV's do go away on their own. But you HAVE TO SEE A DOCTOR. Wouldn't that be easier than crying & being in fear for a few more years? You need to find out if the HPV is completely gone. The ONLY way to find that out is by a gyn exam. NO they are NOT painful. Maybe you can go to Planned Parenthood for a gyn exam, just walk in & make an appointment. They keep things confidential. I went to PP when I was in college for an irregularity on my breast. They examined me right away, were VERY nice, & did not charge me. No, I did not have breast cancer. If you can talk to your Mom, good, make an appointment with a GYN. If you have a trusted guidance counselor, maybe they can recommend you to a dr. But you cannot let this go. HPV Can be dangerous to your reproductive organs over time if not cleared. If you are clean of HPV or after the dr treats you for HPV, then get the vaccination for HPV to help you not get it again. After a DOCTOR tells you that you are clear of HPV, ask the dr how to address this with your boyfriend. As far as sex, you are SO young. 14, 16 too young for sex. It is not too late to start over & not have sex at least until your mid 20's. Plenty of girls your age are waiting until later in life for sex, no matter what they tell you. If your boyfriend won't stay with you unless you give him sex, he is NOT worth keeping. YOU ARE the most important person to think about now. Think about your: goals, your dreams of career and/or travel, and concentrate on fulfilling these. YOU ARE worth men waiting for. If a guy does not feel you are worth waiting for then he is not worthy of you. Good Luck and see a dr.

It goes away and comes back to torment the hell out of you. It can go away, but you always have it in your body to rear it's ugly head. You can't have sex with a guy, without spreading it to him Ironic isn't it, when you got it from a guy to start with. They get by lucky....the guy spreads it, but doesn't get cancer from it. Women get the cancer threats, and all the cutting the raw inside vagina flesh, that takes forever to heal, and painful out of this world.!