I was hit in the mouth 36 hours ago. There was a lot of blood at first but it went away quickly. I have a would on the top of my lip right under my nose. I also have a flap of skin inside of my lip but I don't know if it bled or not.

The swelling has gone down a little but not much. I woke up this morning and it is still swollen but now it hurts and is hard.

How long should it take for the swelling to go down?

Could there be puss or blood inside making it hard and causing the lip to not go down? If so how would I be able to tell? Will it drain on it's own?

Hi there,

You have to understand that the swelling in your lip is normal after you got hit. This is nothing strange and it happens to most people who get hit in the lip. I think that you need to compress some ice on your lip in order to reduce the swelling. The swelling is caused by the accumulation of the blood under your lip or by the irritation of the tissue caused by the hit on the lip. I think that the swelling will be presented for two or three days at least, so you have to be patient when it comes to reduction of the swelling. I hope that this was helpful in any way.

Best wishes,

Marco

I have the same problem but I had gotten hit in the mouth while playing basketball. But I do have braces! My best advice is to put ice on it to keep it from swelling bad and it should be better soon!