I've noticed that over the past month or two, I'm going to the toilet more regularly and it's always softer than usual. I've had some blood tests done to see if everything is working ok, might this be IBS? Or might it just be a change in diet? I have noticed that, completely unconsciously, I've been eaten less pasta and less breakfast cereal.I've switched my bread from wholemeal to white to see if this helps, and the same with rice. Any advice or comments?

Hi James,

As you change your diet your bowel movements can vary.  It's not just what you eat but what you drink as well.

Normally, adding fiber tends to make them harder, such as whole grains.

Just from your post, without additional information, it does not sound like IBS.

Thanks for the reply! I should maybe have added that there are occasional bouts of diarrhea when the stools become soft enough. There's not pain or cramping though which makes me think it isn't IBS.

I've read a lot recently about fibre but some of the information is contradictory... some people seem to think that looser stools could mean too much fibre as opposed to not enough?

It's so frustrating just not knowing what the cause of it is; I only noticed it because it lasted a noticeable amount of time, and it's not great having to go to the toilet 3-5 times a day when my bowels worked as well as anyone else's!

3-5 times a day you're moving your bowels? That is excessive.

How old are you? Are you lactose intolerant? Are you on any medications - certain meds can make you go.

Some days, it's twice, others it's 5, it just varies. I'm 20 and not lactose intolerant as far as I know. I'll have to see what, if anything, comes up in these blood tests for celiac disease and the other things they tested :/

Hi James, I have Celiac and I used to go 10 - 15 times a day, that's excessive. If I now on a gluten-free diet consume some wheat I go 3 - 5 times daily. The BRAT diet can help to firm up naturally: bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. White bread is not a healthy option compared to wheat and that is not going to make a difference. The other thing that it could be to make your stool soft is glucose/fructose sensitivity to sugars - quite common actually.
There are lots of issues and usually in my experience IBS is a cop-out for doctors who don't know what it is. There are Chrons, ulcerative colitis, ulcers, diverticulitis, etc - lots and lots.
I'd be happy to try to answer any of your questions pertaining to the bowels if you have any.
Hope this could be of some help!