For the past 10 years I have had a abdominal side pain, right below or on the bottom of my ribs.  After several cat scans, they told me that I had a few stones and would require the removal of my gull bladder.   Two years ago, they removed my gull bladder.  Since then, I have had a horrible time with my bowels, and bile in my stools, AND the side pain did not go away.  I am so discouraged.  The side pain is there every day, and sometimes wraps around to my back.  I went back to the Dr and suggested that I should have an mri on my liver and my pancreous.. (I am getting left side pain), but only at times.  My Dr thinks I'm crazy now, and I believe he thinks I am hypochondriac.  Is there such a thing as a pain that lasts 10 years?  My Dr told me that obviously it is nothing if I'm still alive. 

Hi Flo, remember us posters are not doctors but maybe one of us will give you better advice than what your lousy doctor can do?!  So a few causes of the pain that I could find may be and one of them you had surgery for with not having solved a single thing is: gallstones, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) - try cutting all wheat out of your diet, ovarian cyst, and appenditicitis (usually would not last this long). 

I had undiagnosed pain for many years, abdominal pain as well and I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  It is an autoimmune disease and the only treatment is to stay off of wheat, wheat gluten and it's cousins for life.  It took me a long time to get a diagnose as well.

Hang in there, get a new doctor and some second opinions and good luck!

HI back lizardqueen420... I appreciate your advice. When you think you've expired your Dr's interest, its hard to know where to go. I agree with finding a new Dr and plan on it. Thank you again. I was diagnosed with IBS in the midst of all my tests, but I think my pain is up too high for that? not sure. But Celiac is interesting. What would cause that pain if it was Celiac? I will have to look it up.. I am guessing that staying off of wheat and its relations would be a hard thing to do? I will try that.. I hope it works.. thank you again for your time and advice..

The pain would be caused by your intestine being inflamed and damaged from the years of damage going on. It also cause many of other symptoms. Take a look at some of the symptoms and get back to me. I have been diagnosed with Celiac disease for 5 years and had the pain all my life which was 32 years - my intestines will never heal completely because of the damage done and not being on a gluten free diet.

No problem, I try to offer sound advice and my time is your time as I am at home healing from a major surgery right now.