I am 20, Male
Overly scrawny 115-120 pounds (5”7)

I have described in short firstly and then in detail afterwards

Summarized
I have had a change in bowel movements since October. I usually got constipated every time I did not sleep for 40hours which I would not sleep once a week or so. In Nov I had one occurrence with really bad pain with constipation followed by diarrhea (no blood or vomiting). In December I had no school so I lost no sleep but since OCT, my stool has been consisting of strands that are broken into 4 pieces and then regular strands with cuts and rolls on them. I use to get random BM’s in DEC with a couple days I had tiny pebble like bowel movements, and once or twice I can’t remember well I had hard stools. Until mid January were I began to eat fiber everyday and Veggies and sleep normally everyday. I get Normal BM every now and then (I get BM 3-4 times a week) but 50% of the time I get broken stools in 2-4 pieces it’s as if you chopped a regular strand of poo into pieces the other strands being intact but with rolls cuts and curves on it rarely I get a smooth strand. I had a couple isolated appearances of Black stools and one or two narrow stools. Sometimes it breaks into random pebble and flat pieces that come out in one push.
I have been eating fiber once a day and sleeping normally for the past month but I still get these broken strands what should I do,
I told my family doctor that I get constipated every now and then but he says to have water and fiber
I never needed fiber to have a BM but now I do

More description

Okay to begin about last October
I noticed that I would get constipated after every day I go without sleep. I would go without sleep for almost 40 hours at least once a week or so. One day in November I had extreme pain during a BM and after the constipation was relieved I had diarrhea at that instance no blood or vomiting that day I just figured it was due to constipation. The year prior to that the days I went without sleep I would notice a change in bowel movement but not constipation,
When I had constipation during that time (the past OCT-JAN) I’m not sure it was every week but every now and then I would have a normal stool and every now and then usually after or during a day of not sleeping I wo.uld get the broken pieces and hard pieces of poo.
In December I didn’t have school so I didn’t miss sleep I didn’t really monitor My stool for that month as far as I can remember they were healthy however every now and then they would come out in small broken pieces. And every now and then I would go to the washroom and tiny pebble like pieces would come out.
(I’m not sure if small tiny pieces of poo mean I’m constipated does it??)

In January I spoke to a nurse and she told me to start eating Fiber and vegetables which prior to that I basically just use to ignore what I eat but I did use to drink a lot of water everyday. Since then I go to the washroom once every other day I usually go 2 to 3 times at most on the day that I do get a BM, usually I go once and then 2 hours later I go again and so on. However I have noticed that almost every time I go to the washroom I get one strand which is broken into pieces like 3 or 4 random pieces that take the form of a regular shaped stool. They are moist regular color and not hard. My normal stool also has little curves and breaks in it which resembles the broken pieces. I don’t get any pain in the stomach or any other symptoms at all.

I did have one or two narrow stools a couple of times but that’s it, although I do not know what clarifies as a narrow stool , once or twice I got a stool that was shaped like a marker it was about 2cms in thickness. Also a few times I got a normal stool that was normal in thickness but Tapered extremely long and thin at the other end.
Recently I had dark brown stools pretty much black, darker than normal but that went away after a few trips to the washroom, it was probably due to too much iron in cereal red meat or lentils.
I’m only 20 so I don’t think its colon cancer I pray it isn’t. But what is the reason my bowel movements have changed like this?

I also noticed a few times when I woke up for about 4days in a row I could hear my stomach growling, I hear it every now and then but like even if I’m half asleep in the morning it would keep grumbling non stop for those 4mornings but since then it stopped

Also I recently had my first panic attack I’ve been going through a lot of anxiety and stress recently and currently because I’m nervous about a few things. Could that have to do with my broken stools?

Also prior to beginning to eat fiber once a day I never needed fiber to go to the washroom now it seems like I do. However prior to this I never really had a good digestion system I’m overly skinny and since I can remember I had diarrhea every now and then except for the past months were this started to happen.

I have been trying to eat fiber I haven’t been eating so much veggies but at least fiber everyday. But I still get broken pieces of poo (not tiny but as if you took a regular shaped stool and cut it in four) and then a regular connected strand with bumps and rolls on it. Every now and then I get a regular smooth one but not as often

I’m guessing it has something to do with my sleeping habits they constantly changing hours however recently I’ve been sleeping normally everyday for good amounts of time but still I get these broken pieces. Recently for my first time in months I went a full 40hours without sleeping and instead of the 4 broken pieces I got like 20 tiny pieces and some broken strands

Hey, i have been having the same problem as you. Its been about 5 months bowel movements have changed. I was constipated for a while,until i started having a very stong fiber and yet when i miss one day without fiber, my bowel movements become back into tiny small round and just a few of them come out. As well ass sometimes it becomes green and has mucus in most of the time. It has happened also that my stool was floating, and was light brown and would break into pieces very fast. A few weeks back i realised also that my food was not well absorbed. I could see the particules inside my stool?
I have no idea what it could be. I went to so many Dr. checked everything. The only thing i know, is that I am extremely stressed and i panic non-stop to figure out of what am i going to die. I get lets of joint pain as well as sy throught feels like tiny pain that comes and goes and tired, always feel tiredness.
I have never been ill or had any family history of any kindof disease? I also went on vacation to relax, but the stool ddnt change much.
I dont know whats going on with me..

ive been having the same exact problem green stools tiny ones like pebbles and green mucus i guess? i eat alot of spinich, and fiber kashi go lean cruch, and ive been drinking fiber ive got some pains but this is really begining to bother me as well

same problem here. began in october or november with walnut like hard painful hard stool. i took activia and other probiotics as well as florastor. stool passage became much easier and size became smaller than a walnut, much like large pebbles. they look very much like the shape and color of some gall bladder stones (kind of triangular and light and dark brown.), bit larger. my doc said to take stool softeners which make for easier passage but not the hardness of the individual "pebbles".
i've been taking tramadol for back pain for more than 10 years. it's the only med i take every day. i had no stool problem until recently.

Im 27 and had the same problem since 3 months, every day i had this stomach noises and gas at anytime of the day, bowel movements and 3 times a week constipated or small hard stool. I only register here to tell what the colonoscopy test said and what medicine cured me. Its a very bad bacteria that if is not treated it could cause Ulcer so they gave me 2 different antibiotics Klacid 500mg 1 in the morning 1 in the evening with food 7 days and Co-amoxicillin Sandoz 1g, 875mg/125mg 1 in the morning 1 in the evening for 7 days with food and then Agopton 30, 1 in the morning 1 in the evening with the other medicine for 14 days + some bioflorin for the flora.
I have seen 5 doctors in 3 months, and only the colonoscopy could tell exactly what i have, so dont waste your money and time with doctors have a colonoscopy done because you do have a nasty bacteria if your stomach its noisy every day.
Im am very happy i dont have the noises any more and hopefully would make have a colonoscopy done witch is not so bad except the liquid you have to drink before.

Hi, me too i have some of the things reported here(28 years old).
Although i'm not having(never) hard stool from 3 or 4 months now, i do have light brown stools that sometimes float at least for some time. I often find food undigested pieces in the stools. As i said this began 3 or 4 months ago when i was under some stress(nothing new to me,i'm allways under pressure in that period over the last years(june-September) its part of my job). The last stools to be evacuated seem to be smaller, float more, lighter color, more food pieces, irregular shape or curved shape and very thin and also with rolls and curves in a defined shape/pattern( I mean these rolls and curves are allways of the same shape/Size etc. ). A few times happened that the first ones to be evacuated were almost normal, i got one or 2 normal strands and then the following would have a different texture, break in pieces with non digested food. Besides that symptoms, comon to all of you i also felt during these months, especially during the first ones, a strange sensation of pressure in the left side of the abdomen, and as that feeling was going away another one appeared in the bottom of the left side abdomen, almost as if the intestine was obstructed, although i ve never had pain, just some spasms and wieird noises.

I've been to the doctor 2 times now. First she said it was stress and gas and gave an anti spasmodic for the intestine and a gas supressor indicated for treatment of abdominal distension (flatulence) Aero-OM 125mg,she also told me i could not eat: bread(only toasted bread was allowed), cookies, beans, brocules etc in order to reduce gas. then in the 2nd time, 3 weeks later when i went back to see her because every thing was pretty much the same, she switched the aero-om for pankreoflat (does the same thing in a diferent way i think). 3 weeks later i feel better regarding bowel movment, and pressure in abdomen left side, but the problems in the stools remain almost the same.
This week i'll have an abdominal x.ray and 4 or 5 sonographys. I noticed she's somehow relutant in making me have a colonoscopy, i dont know why.

Some of the posts are pretty old, so if any of you had an answer for your problem in this time please reply to me beacuase i'm really getting desperate.

At last, sorry for my english, it's not specially good when speaking of general subjects and its even worst in this one because of its specificity.

Best regards,
Paulo J. Martins

ive been through that for 1 month. what i did, i eat alot of fruits (like papaya,kiwi,prunes) and drink alot of water.no alcohol. it works :-D

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'll try to eat more fruits and see if it works.

Best reagrds

I am a 18 year old boy with no bad habits like smoking or drinking however I frequently eat outside One day when I woke up as usual going out for my coaching about 8 am in the morning I did not get any bowel movements I thought it was just usual when I returned back at 11 am I again tried but no help at about 1 pm I got high fever of about 102 degree and mild headache I immediately consulted a doctor he just diagonosed it as normal giving main cause to fever anyways he gives me medicine with constipation pill none of them worked I remember the next day he even increased the dose but none worked I was hardly eating anything and when the condition come to enema and that I am too shy I was too disappointed and afraid , I am too embarrassed to tell that I did myself my enema by normal tap water and pipe well it worked and I got my bowels cleared (at that time I was not knowing the cause why hospitals donot use tap water for enema as it can cause intoxification)……one thing more to mention that my hard stools were accompanied by white mucus………..after that I get my bowels regularly cleaned and was happy that devil has gone but one thing I ignored that I was getting a type of motion which is hard to explain that my motions were varied with constipated , normal , loosemotions ,and thin stools usually at end (means at first it feels that its constipation with little hard stools but it usually clears with little strain then I get some normal stool then and then loose motions with thin watery stool )…………the time of my bowel movements gets fixed means I am now usually getting bowel movements with facial discontinousy at about 3 pm even though I may feel like have bowel movements in the morning I donot know whether my stomach has a watch with it…I am trying many laxavatives with no help…………I more thing I from many months was have a burning sensation occasionally ………………at present my condition though is comfortable except for going to have my bowels cleaned as they are never cleaned on time and in one slot and aldo there is not diahrea ……………………………………………………………though it is with me with past too months and I have not seeked a treatment fearing from endosopy and colonoscopy and do not know what the heck it is .. I have sometimes mild abdomen pain which is usually felt on pressing abdomen I have excessive gas which donot easily pass and I am feeling a little more tired these days and has joint pains in leg and hand …………….please give me suggestions …………………..

I have the very same symptoms with the user "Braga". What were you diagnosed?

braga wrote:

Best regards,
Paulo J. Martins

Hey man, i think i have the very same problems with you, especially on this "loud bowels" and "thin and curvy stool" issue..What have you been diagnosed?

Hello 

My digestive problems has started like 1 year ago.. Once i got a diarrea, which went like 2 days and turned back to normal..From that day on, i've started to have some abdominal pains, spasm-like bowel gases (especially at the first wake up on mornings) and lots of gas releasing..All of these lasted until December in an average way, they were neither so irritating, nor i was feeling completely relaxed..

After December, all of these indications started to increase and i've started to feel bloated and burp too much..When i wake up in the mornings, i was burping and releasing gas, my stomach was bubbling up (at least i was feeling so), and i had foul smelling gas and stool..

Until May, i've visited 3 separate doctors, and i've been prescribed some medicines, which are Nexium (PPI), Meteospasmyl (Anti-Gas) etc..But none of them was the right ones for me..Finally i've decided to have an Endoscopy to see whats wrong inside of me

As a result of that, i've been diagnosed that i have Giardiasis bacteria on my Duodenum..For that, i've used an antibiotic for 15 days, which includes Ornidazole. Besides i've used a motility-regulating medicine (Motilium) and a PPI. 

During this cure period, my problems seemed to lessen, but not entirely disappeared..Only thing that resolved, the foul smelling issue..Lastly, my gas issues has started to bother me again and this time i've visited another doc, explained all i've been thru. I gave blood and stool samples for some tests, and all of them was clear..

This time, i've been prescribed a Metrodinazole (in case of still-living bacterias), an anti-gas and a Famotidine for excessive gastrine secretion..

Lately i've learned that, nearly all of my symptoms are similar with the ones with IBS. 
-I'm having constipation 2-3 times in a week, 
-the thickness of my stool -comparing to old ones- is a little thinner and have some curves at its ends, 
-I'm having some lower and upper back pains (not so often) (like muscle pains)
-And the most important, as Braga says, i'm feeling, as if my colons contracting, as if there's a rock inside and doesnt move at all. However, some time later, the location of this pain moves and finally goes out as gas..Especially, i'm feeling really relaxed after my ordinary morning defecation.

Here are my questions..

1- Is there a possibility for me to have IBS? I dont have irregular defecation habit at all, my ordinary number is 1 for each morning, but this showed some changes thru all this time between 2-3 times in a day or 1 times in 2 days.. I had Diarrea 2 or 3 times in this whole period, but my stool was kinda hard and felt "constipated" at the times, when my defecation time was 2-day-long.. By the way, i never had Nausea or Vomiting..

2- I don't eat much vegetables..(Well, i've never eaten one like 10 years) But i'm eating fruits, like them all and as food i'm consuming rather red meat, chicken and fish. Some fast-foods are indispensable, when you are a student and away from home ofc) Could this be the reason? Could all of my problems be a rebellion of my digestion system, saying that "Enough of Meat! Gimme some Vegetables!"

3- What else would be my problem?

slammer88 wrote:

Hello 

Here are my questions..

3- What else would be my problem?

I've made a colonscopy and they found a polyp which isnt directly related to the symptoms i had but was a good thing as there is a probability that a  polyp can after several years (10 or something) turn into a cancer. Anything else was ok. All the 4 sonographys showed also no anomalies.

Nowadays i feel much better, it's been an year since i first felt it, and after the 2 treatments with medicines i described( which didnt work well), the symptoms became to gradually disappear, and now i can go days without feeling spasms or bowel movements or abdominal pressure(although i know that it's not normal yet), and when i feel it its not so strong as before.
 Before it started i almost never had diarrhea, only if i had ate something bad(out of date or something) or if ate a lot of different stuff, and now i get it from times to times  for no apparent reason.  

From my experience i believe(but can be wrong) that eating fruit helps a lot as someone said on the posts above(kiwi's(i feel good with these specially) , manga or water mellon), and cut/reduce in the bread. I love bread, and it can be a psychological thing but i believe that in days that i eat a lot of bread i start to feel the sympt. again.

It important to keep track of your weight, and see that you dont gain or loose it abnormally with no apparent reason(during this period i had variations of 2 kg max(76kg +-2kg) except for when i did the colonoscopy because of the process of cleaning the intestine). 

I'm now thinking of doing an endoscopy.

Sorry if i didnt make myself clear in some things, English it's not my language.

Best regards.
Braga

Quote:

slammer88 wrote:

Hello 

Here are my questions..

3- What else would be my problem?

I'm now thinking of doing an endoscopy.

Best regards.
Braga

Thanks for your kind answer ^^ Its completely understandable ;)

As you said, i'm tracking my weight and it has been 78-80kg for a very long time and it doesnt change at all..Lately i've started to drink more water, and consume more vegetables and fruits to see if it helps. Sad to hear that you had diarrhea from time to time, for me, as you said, when i overeat, i had diarhea, but it doesnt last for a long time at all..Foods contain sugar like Chocolate are making me discomfortable as well, mind that ;)

One thing that i didnt understand is, have you been diagnosed IBS or something else for your bowel disorder? And how "thin" your stool before/during your problems and how is it now? Mine was like a little bigger that half of my wrists and now, its like exactly or a little thinner than them.

slammer88 wrote:

Quote:

slammer88 wrote:

Hello 

Here are my questions..

3- What else would be my problem?

I'm now thinking of doing an endoscopy.

Best regards.
Braga

Well after the colonoscopy i never went to the doctor again, and he never clearly stated it was IBS, but I read one of the medicines indications he prescribed me before that(one of the ones i mentioned in one of my posts) and it said it was suitable for IBS treatment by reducing spasms among other things..... 

Best regards,
Braga