Hey all.... I am going to see my dietician about carb counting and all of that, but I want to know what kind of carb counting is it?  Is it similar to Atkins or South Beach?  I hate restricting my carbs; I get irritable from doing so.  I hope that carb counting in a diabetic diet will offer more than 15 grams of carbs a day : 

You do not need to restrict your carbs to the extreme on the diabetic diet, in fact, you need to make sure you eat your required amount of carbs for the day, which can be up to around 195 grams a day.  You will not be irritable if you follow your diabetic plan.  Your dietician will explain how to count carbs.  She will introduce carb units which is essentially 1 unit of carbs = 15 grams of carbohydrates.  2-4 carb units will be put on your meal planning for each meal; usually 2-3 carb units for breakfast, 3-4 for lunch, and 3-4 for dinner.  You will plan your meals around the suggested carbs.  It will get easier once you learn to read the labels on many of your favorite foods. 

I have done the Atkins and I did not like it at all. I did lose weight, don't get me wrong.... but I was irritable in the process and I really wanted my fruit and bread so badly. As soon as you add those things back to your diet, your weight comes back on. It really isn't a good diet unless you eat that way for good. I swear I could taste the ketones in my mouth. It wasn't a diet that you felt very good on. Eating cheese, ham, whatever kind of meat... you don't get any vitamins from those foods. It is one diet I will not go back on ever again. Heck the founder died of heart disease, I believe, so that tells you right there.