I've contacted all my local dentists for help i have no insurance and i'm on disability that doesn't cover dental work. Please does anyone know a charitable organization that could save my life in South eastern illinois. the infection is down into my throat and half my tongue is swollen from scraping  broken teeth. i'm scared it's going to turn cancerous if i go another 3 years.

Hi there,

Wow - I'm so sorry to hear you're having these issues. before you need a dentist though - you need a doctor. A regular doctor can certainly treat the infection. In some cases - medicare could cover a basic surgury to have your teeth removed (for medical reasons). Not every doctor agrees to this - but it has happened in some cases. you can then check your disability insurance and see if it covers dentures.

I'm not in illinois and don't know of organizations there - but if there is a local church, synagogue or other religious institution you feel comfortable with - talk to someone there. If there is a way, an organization or a fund that can help, religious leaders in the community are usually pretty familiar with them.

If you don't feel comfortable with that route - talk to a social worker. Many cities have drop in centers where social workers are on hand - or hot lines you can call and ask questions.

Thank you girlnextdoor. I am seeing a doctor for the infection. he gave me antibiotics. but wouldn't send me to the hosp. he says i'll just have to keep filling my teeth down so they don't scrape my tongue

Good to hear you have antibiotics. That's a huge relief.

If you are near to the University of Illinois - contact their "Dental and Oral Care" center. It's a teaching part of the university - where dental students work on patients under the supervision of their dentist teachers. Care is much more affordable - and some procedures are covered by medicaid - in whole or in part.

The evaluation of what needs to be done is, anyway, free. AND - the students are not going to eval you for unnecessary procedures - as some private dentists may.

You should be aware that there are private dental practises where they will evaluate people for unnecessarily expensive procedures, at unbelievable prices and then encourage the patient to try and find the money through charity or taking a 2nd job, use their tuition, savings, retirement funds - whatever. It's a much more common practise than many people realise. There was a documentary done on this some time ago. Quite revealing.

I almost fell victim to this during my years in college. A dentist had his entire office trying to convince me that if I didn't drop out and use my tuition money for the dental work - I would lose all my teeth. ...20 years later I still have all my teeth (they're healthy) and found a different dentist who fixed the issues for under $500 and did it very well. He's still my dentist today. I know it can be really hard trying to navigate teeth issues with the cost of dental work these days. Yet tooth problems can have a serious effect on our entire health, our mental well being and even our opportunities in life. So keep looking and don't be afraid to visit as many dentists as you have to for an evaluation and quote (if it's free) - until you get somewhere. It's can be like a full time job for awhile - but it will be worth it for you.