hey guys so I’ve answered lots of questions on Steady health over the years and often get the same questions over and over . questions about sex, puberty, penis size, masturbation, STDs, pregnancy, “am I normal” or “is this normal” these are all totally NORMAL questions to have yet many people here say they are too embarrassed or afraid to ask their health care provider/doctor. Aside from answering questions on here I am also in school to be a physician assistant....so let me get your opinion?..... So as a provider I have to discuss things with patients like sexual history /drug/alcohol use ect... I try to be as open and non-judgemental as possible so that my patients feel safe/comfortable being honest with me.  

So my question for all of you is.....If you were at your doctor for a physical  and you had a question/concern regarding something like sex, STD's, puberty/development, pregnancy or if something was "normal" or not,   would you rather be the one to bring it up when your doctor asked "do you have any question or concerns"?     or would you rather the provider be more direct and ask something like "do you have any questions/concerns regarding things like sex/STDs/ development or pregnancy" ?

im just trying to get peoples opinions  to help me be a better provider and be able to get the most accurate info out there. The internet is good but since it is opinion based there is plenty of room for not so accurate opinions.

thanks for reading and for any input I really appreciate it!!!

Health Advisor

Hey, mate.

First, I would like to congratulate you on your unselfish contribution to our forum. 

As for your question, I must admit that I'm a bit shy when it comes to patient/doctor talks. But, from my perspective, I would encourage health specialists to ask tricky questions because patients often forget about some situations and right questions can be useful in remembering them. Also, when you have built a friendly relationship with your patient it is much more likely that they will open up to you, but we all need a little push in the right direction. 

Hope that covers your inquiry. 

Best regards.

Hey good to hear from you again yes your answer does help! I try to come across as open and non-judgmental as possible so people are honest but since so many people on here have the same tough questions and we often hear that they are afraid or embarrassed to talk to their doctor/provider about them I though what better place to ask questions.... ideally I’d like to make a poll on here to help with data collection and organization...... thanks for your put Levi I really appreciate it!!

New Hope
Yeah I am totally agree with you that most people take this very honestly ad the judgmental as possible ..

Thank you for your input I really appreciate it !