A couple of years ago I was signed up to do a triathlon and I didn't end up actually doing it because I didn't train properly. I was spending too much time running b/c I was also doing the Chicago Marathon that year.

So this summer I'm signed up for a Sprint Tri in July and I'm already cancelling it in my head because, well, I don't know why exactly. I enjoy swimming & biking and can do them both fairly well, but I'm thinking I don't actually want to *train* them. I keep feeling like having to do that stuff would get in the way of running (doing a half in Sept.) or strength training (two things I am being slack on right now).

But I love the idea of triathlon and I think people who do them are awesome, especially crazy ironmen & ironwomen. I know I can do it, but jus because I have respect for it and think it's cool doesn't mean I have to do it right? I guess the question is, would I feel worse feeling like I'm a quitter, or will I be too annoyed at training for 3 things (I guess that's what it comes down to, the multi-tasking).

Anyone else feel like this about tri?

I'm wondering why you really want to do it...

And do you REALLY want to do it? or it just sounds good?

If you want to keep running your primary focus, go ahead. No worries. If you do cross train, you could still do the race for fun and just to see what it is like.

I actually DO really want to do it, and after typing up my post, that made me think about it more. It's really not a big deal, incoporating biking & swimming into a running program (I have a good tri program to go by that I can just add extra running in too). And I already know how to swim and can do double the distance that is required for the race, so that's not a problem. Anyway, I AM going to do it. So I'll be around this community often I think!

I agree, I definitely need to do it to see what it's like instead of putting it off all the time.
Thanks!

My marathon time went from 3:30 to sub 3:15 with the cross training from multisport. Don't think of it as not running, but more like aerobic training without the pounding. Finishing a triathlon is a great accomplishment. I wll tell you however, they are addicting. Once you cross that line the only thing you can think of is doing it again, but faster.

It truly is the devils sport.

Sheldon