Right now I use designer protein natural, 1 scoop, mixed in 16 oz of water with two scoops of Twin Lab Hydra Fuel (Fruit punch or orange flavor)
It tastes very good but I have not been able to order hydra fuel as a lot of sites I go to are out.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Opinions on accelerade or endurox. I would just really like to stick to the "gatorade" type recovery drink and mix in the protein because I like to sometimes have them separate.

Accelerade is for during your activity. I find it to heavy for running is fine for cycling. Endurox is great for a recovery drink. Like most of them, it can get expensive. I try and buy it only when it is on sale at Performance in Paoli. Lately, I have just been drinking milk, and eating something after I shower.

I use Endurox and love it. It may be a placebo effect but I feel it really does help with my recovery. Something to keep in mind no matter what you choose is: You should consume at least .5 grams of Carbohydrates for every pound of body weight within the first 15-30 minutes you are done exercising. It is though that protein will help aid the glycogen production by stimulating an insulin release. Endurox says the ratio of Carbs:Proteins is ~ 4:1. I have read else where that 3:1 ratio is preferred. You should also make sure to eat another .5 grams/lbs body weight with in the next few hours to further help your body.

Endurox is also loaded with antioxidants to help eliminate muscle soreness. Exercise stimulates the creation of Free-radicals. These FR are thought to be linked to cancers and other diseases. Anti-oxidants help rid our body of the FRs.

In an effort to save money I have tried just chocolate milk as a recovery drink (Same Carbs:proteins ratio as Endurox) and had ok luck with it. However I feel that Endurox does a better job and is worth extra money. (Ps. GNC has a 20% club that you pay $20 to get into. This has saved me a ton of money already)

Good luck!

The money is not an issue really. If it works I am okay. I have yet to try endurox but I may. We will see.

Another vote for Endurox here! Mainly I use it for longer runs since it is expensive, but also since I seem to derive the most benefit from using it then. On my 5-6 mile daily runs, I usually just do Gatorade and 500mg of L-Glutamine, an amino acid someone recommended to me which is supposed to help with muscle repair.

I like Vitamin World's chocolate protein powder but I use it more for a pre-run drink, or breakfast on the days when I run at lunch, than as recovery. Plus, I like to mix with fruit or nonfat yogurt to beef it up a little and that's just too much for my stomach right after a long run. I don't eat well immediately following a long run or hard workout.

When I am able to eat, I go for a carb/protein balance whenever possible.....egg white omelet with veggies, cottage cheese and fruit, or pasta with chicken or meat sauce as the tummy permits. Gone are the days when I could run 10 miles and then eat a big old burger, blechhh.....that is just a recipe for :puke:

Chocolate Milk. The protein to carb ratio is very similiar to that of other protein/carb recovery drinks, and it tastes a lot better (plus it is like 1/10 the price!)

I may have to give in to the chocolate milk. Why go complex when simple works just fine.

Accelerade has sucrose as the main ingredient, can you say bonk? These guys replied telling me the reason I was crashing was the inferior carb source from the cheap sugar rather than maltodextrin. Accelerade uses Whey protein at 4/1 ratio (too much), Dr Bill replied that this is good for recovery and not during the run. Their formula (Sustained Energy) uses a 16/1 ratio of Soy protein that doesn't produce ammonia because of canabolizing of muscle tissue for energy.

Sustained has proven over 160 miles of ultra running, but they recommend their Perpetuem product that has a slight amount of hydrolyzed oils for fats, more protein. Both products are excellent electrolyte formulas as well as the other safe ergogenics which ere within the anti-doping standards. Hammer Nutrition (E-Caps) work the best for me along with Hammer gels.

Ooorah! Semper Fi! God bless you!
:wavey: