I ran a mile yesterday.
Time: 6:35
Not quite where I'd like it to be. I'm not in shape though (haven't run in over year and a half).

How long do you think it will take me to get it down to 6?
And can I be running a 5 minute mile in the near future?

This is complete shots in the dark. Without anything to go on.. age, gender, miles per week, weight, diet, training regime, commitment, injury-proclivity, schedule, etc.. I'd say anyone that can crank out a 6:35 outta the blue has the ability to go sub-6, in say, 6-months time.
And as for going down to around 5, if you're under age 40, ideal weight, ready to commit 6-10 hrs per week to running, time at the track doing speedwork and be all around take running as nearly priority one, there's a chance you could get to 5ish in say a year's time.

/again, it's a complete shot in the dark without any clues about you/your running :shrug:

Again, if your not pulling our leg with that 6m.35s
If you can bring down fat % , not forgetting to retain your LBM (lean body mass) Going on your mile time, I'd say 5mins. or even a sub 5min. would be a shoe in.

Oh...I read that another way. He's 50. I don't think anyone with 50% body fat is running a 6:35 mile.

Oh...I read that another way. He's 50.
Your probally right Pug. I was drinking a particularly good Cabernet Savignon at the time of answering this post. So where is 'qweretyg' ? and did he/she run a 6.35 after 18 months lay off anyway ?

Sorry the "6% is now 50" thing was a joke... it just meant that i'm feeling really fat and out of shape right now... theres no way I hav 50% body fat lol

the thing is I play basketball... its just I haven't worked out (in the gym) or ran (track or XC) in a year and a half

I'm 18, could be better shape but not bad, 5' 7, ~130 lbs

I was thinking of joining XC again and concentrate on running but instead of improving 5K times, I would like to improve 800 and 1600 times for Track season, so I don't think I will.

Cross Country will help you in track. You'll have built a base of distance and some faster running in the fall so that you can really build on that and continue to add speed on the shorter distances in track.

I agree.. X cross helps a lot!