I read somewhere that diabetes is still a condition that leads to death in the U.S. and I must say that this surprised me! So does that mean a significant number of people die from diabetes each year, or are there just one or two? And what are the circumstances that lead up to such deaths?

Hi gaulteiero,

You have to know that diabetes is manageable disease. There is medication that can control the level of glucose in your blood. You just have to more careful about your life. Eat proper food, have regular exercises, keep checking your blood sugar levels. You now have home tests for glucose levels, which is a great thing. In recent history people had to go to hospital to check this and there were more deaths at that time.

The information that I found is that in 2007 there were 71 382 death that are caused by diabetes. This is a large number of death, but diabetes is also a cause for other complications in other diseases that lead to death.

You're thinking of Type 2 Diabetes. There is another Type that most people do not understand & that's Type 1 Diabetes. Type 1 is not easy to control & requires insulin for life. Nobody knows what causes Type 1 and there is no cure. Diet & exercise will not fix Type 1.