Hi everyone. I seem to have a serious problem. My insulin need is getting more and more and I am concerned!! I am very strict with my diet and my exercise hasn't changed so I don't have a clue as to what is going on. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 3 years ago and at that time I had very high sugar levels. It took me a while but I got my blood sugar levels under control. It seems like all of a sudden I lost it. I really don't think I've changed anything in my lifestyle so what is happening? Someone, help please!

Hello, I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. From what you say, your lifestyle hasn't been changed. That was the case with me as well. I'm a type 2 as well and what can happen is that you have an increase in insulin resistance. Just as a matter of curiosity, have you gained weight lately? Or are you taking other medications that you didn't mention? Those two factors can increase insulin resistance. Nevertheless, your cells are not responding to what insulin your body is making and the insulin you are taking. This can have serious repercussions. Your doctor may have to put you on another form of medication specifically for insulin resistance to try and get your blood sugar levels under control. There are a number of them and often two medications are taken at the same time. Talk with your diabetes manager or doctor about which medications would be right for you. It really depends on the individual, lifestyle and any other medical complications you may have. The one thing I do know is that you need to see your doctor very soon. Hyperglycemia can be very dangerous and you need to keep that in check as soon as possible.