I'm used to the following:

Breakfast
Snack
Lunch
Snack
Dinner

I've read breaking your meals into 6 smaller meals a day rather than three "square" meals is better for you. Anyone agree?

Yep, I feel like a hobbit. First and second breakfast, elevensees, lunch, snack......

More frequent and smaller meals helps stabilize blood sugar and eliminate storing extra calories as fat.

:shrug: ..I've been reading a bit of the opposite lately.. 3-squares and fergit the snacks... especially the evening ones.
I don't think runners on a consistent workout routine have blood sugar worries.

Breakfast: 530ish

Lunch: 1200ish

Snack: 3:00

dinner: 530/600ish

Snack: 830/900ish PRN

I usually start eating when I get to the office at 8AM and feed continualy until 5PM when I ride home. If we're having dinner, I'll eat that and usually something else substantial. If we're not, I'll continue grazing until bedtime.

So, what are some examples of "small meals" you would eat? I typically have:

Breakfast: cereal, bagel or fruit - depending on how hungry I am.
Snack: fruit or cheese or nuts or crackers, or something similar
Lunch: Sandwich or soup and some sort of salad (lettuce or a fruit salad depending on how much fruit I have already eaten that day)
Snack: same type of snack as above
Dinner: Rice-based dish (fried rice w/chicken, etc.)

I eat many many small meals a day.

A nutrition drink like boost
A cup of cereal and 1/2 cup soy milk
A protein bar

2 cups of Trader Joes cheese puffs (very low fat)

and if things are really good, chicken and mashed potatoes, no butter or gravy.

It helps the body work more efficiently--as the stomach isn't trying to work through huge meals at a time.

It's healthier for me, anyway.

i used to eat all the time.

ive been reading a nutrition book and it suggests eating a substantial amount of protein for b'fast, so ive been trying to do that. its hard though, when the only easy bfast stuff is cereal, bagels, or peanutbutter toast.

i usually eat a kind of big lunch and try not to eat again untill dinner, but we usually eat early enought that i have a snack or glass of milk later in the evening.

i find that chugging water most of the day keeps me from being ravenous all the time. but if i get hungry in between, ill have a snack, usually a granola bar or something...

I'm a pig, I eat every few hours.

True. Tons o' protein for breakfast does a body good. Try Egg Beaters/egg whites (not too bad in the microwave, but spend 5 minutes and cook 'em on the stove = better) with some salsa topped with cheese, chocolate milk on the side. Added bonus: throw some chicken chunks into your omelet. YUM!

I'm one of the 'grazers'....and I make sure to track what I eat so that I'm not just consuming massive quantities of empty calories:

I make sure to include a fiber-rich [non-processed] item and lean protein with most of my snack-meals

Fit in 5-8 fruits and veggies a day

consume a gallon+ of water daily

get in 2-3 dairy products

yeah, yeah, it may not sit well with a runner's GI [I'm a prime example if you check out my handle] but this type of eating serves the body well in the grand scope of life

I do love sugar and fat too...and will try and make room to have some kind of treat 4-5x/wk

cheers

I eat continuously from 8 a.m. to noon.
And then eat way too large of a dinner.
And then eat a snack around 9 pm.

These habits are going under review and will be revised soon. I've managed to cut out most of the junk food and the result has been 9 lbs gone from my gut. I still feel hungry most of the day though.

I eat breakfast every day, a mix of carbs and protein or I get the shakes, start on the veggies portion of lunch at around 10:30. Eat lunch, usually (yogurt, crackers, today there were turkey meatballs and rice, too) at noon or 1 if I run at lunch, then eat the rest of whatever I packed before I go to school after work, or pick up sushi and eat it on the way to school. I usually get tea while at school, sometimes a soft pretzel if I have the points to spare. When I get home, it's around 10 pm, and if I'm hungry, I limit myself to carrots. I also drink at least 68 oz of water every day, at least during the workweek. All in all, that's about 5-6 times a day I eat something.

So do you take in a mooooovie with your later snacking? So you like cowboy flix, then? Heffer choke on dry popcorn? Am I milking this a bit too much?

I eat almost constantly it seems. once i get to the office, it's a bagel'n peanutbutter, i snack on Honey Nut Cheerios til two, have a large lunch. more grazing (but less) Cheerios. Evening workouts so instead of solids i have gels and powder/water drinks. home a sandwhich (or two) some chips and then bedtime.