8O

J/K. Ladies with long hair, how often do you wash your hair when running/exercising? Do you take any extra precautions to protect it since you're washing more frequently?

My hair is LONG. I love to wash it, 'cause when it's dirty I feel dirty all over.

So I wash it every day.

What's cool is that I run in the a.m., so I get up, go running, get all yukky, and then I take my shower for the day.

I use all Aveda products, which are all natural and never have to be switched because of buildup, and which protect my hair no matter how much I wash it.

It can be expensive, but there are several eBay stores that sell it, and you can get it greatly reduced from the price in the salon.

This semester it depends on the workout and the day. M, F am I go to the gym and lift for an hour and shower at the gym before work, and TW am runs followed by pre-shower work. Th night = long run after work, shower afterwards. The problems arise when I do the occasional double by running to class (where I sit postrun all sweaty - ewww) - I shower when I get home. Or when I lift on W at lunch - I try to make this my easy day so I don't sweat too much as I don't have time to workout for 45-60 min and THEN shower. Sat & Sun each have a run, so I have a shower afterwards.

So depending on the week and how much time I have, 7-9 showers a week for my long fine but plentiful hair. I've found that keeping blowdrying and brushing/combing to an absolute minimum does wonders, as does a light conditioner. A great cut, every 6-8 weeks, goes a long way, too. And red dye job, too.

I have long fine, fairly thin hair and the roots show the oil if I do not wash it every day...some days when I want to give it a break I just rinse it w/water and put conditioner on the ends. My hair is definitely stressed, but I can't stand it dirty.

I also have an obsessive need to shower as soon as I can after working out. I get really sweaty and sloppy, so I couldn't just go on with my day...I'd be afraid of stinking.

SGH

Stinking is bad, but also all that sweat in your pores for too long can give you skin problems... it's toxins, actually, because the sweat goes out, grabs whatever's flying in the air, and then if it's not washed off it goes back in. YUK!! So it's good to shower as soon as you can after you get sweaty... especially, for some reason, your face! :thumbsup:

I wash it twice a day almost every day. I wash it in the evening when I get done running, and I wash it again in the morning when I get up.

It's good to know others are as obsessive as I am. I shower at least twice a day. And I shower/wash my hair immediately after workouts.

It was just so much easier with short hair...

train early in the morning or at night. then, you need only shower once. if you must train sometime during the day, extra conditioner or leave in conditioner helps. wear a hat too. the sun is damaging. i put conditioner in my hair before runs if my head is exposed. i still have awful split ends.

Well not that my hair is long but i sweat a lot from my head so i wash everyday.

thankfully being a guy with short hair i do not need to worry that much about damage, it's all cut off soon anyway.