My cousin needs to go to Peritoneal dialysis while he is waiting kidney transplantation. We hope that it can help him. I want to know what types of Peritoneal dialysis exist? And what are the main differences between them? Can somebody who has some kind of experience with it tell me that? Thanks!

There are two types of Peritoneal dialysis: Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) and Continuous cycling peritoneal dialysis (CCPD). With CAPD, you fill your abdomen with dialysis solution and drain the fluid by hand. With CCPD a machine automatically infuses dialysis solution into your peritoneal cavity and drains it several times during the night while you sleep.

Hello there archambault564,

First of all I am so sorry that your cousin is suffering with kidney problems which are so serious that he needs transplantation.

Dialysis is very helpful with those conditions and the difference between them has been well explained by oswald1805 so there is no need to repeat the same thing. Of course all additional information about the better choice and the whole procedure itself you will need and get from his doctor. And this is not something that your cousin should be terrified of because this is the procedure that will help him to do what his kidneys are not capable of anymore.

Keep us posted about the situation and I hope that your cousin will get new kidneys soon.