Hi, I have a problem that I can’t solve on my on. Through out my life I was never much of a believer. I celebrated Christmas and Easter with my family, but the idea that there is someone out there who watches over us just didn’t seam realistic to me. But two years ago my mother got very sick. She was diagnosed with depression and immediately put on antidepressants. But it wasn’t until she started to go to church and pray regularly that she started to feel better. I can’t understand how this newfound spirituality helped her. Is it possible that the power of pray is so great that it can actually heal?

Hello, I would like to share with you the amazing experience I had regarding spirituality. When I was a child my mother used to take me to church, but I didn’t understand what was going on and I couldn’t wait to get out of there. While I was growing up I distanced myself not only from the church but from the concept of God altogether. My life was great until I lost my job. I went from one interview to another, but no one wanted to hire me. I was either over or under qualified. It got so bad that I had to move back in with my parents. I was so depressed that I couldn’t get out of bed. And than one Sunday morning a wonderful thing happened. My mother practically dragged me to church and for that I am eternally grateful. With every step I took I felt more and more peaceful. It was such an intense emotion that I became immediately aware of the presence of God. From that day my state of mind started to improve. Praying helped me realize that everything happens for a reason and that God is always there for me. I now consider God my personal therapist. I guess that your mother feels the same way. And to answer your question yes I believe that praying can help you heal. But you shouldn’t let your mother skip her doctor appointments or stop to take her medicine. If you think that this suggests that I have doubts about the healing power of pray you are wrong. The thing is that I also believe that doctors are here for a reason and that God heals through them too.

People go to what they need. If you need comfort you go to where you get it be it a church, doctor, friend or where or whatever.

Spirituality isn't any different. Your mom needed comfort, strength and someone to believe in that is steady, stable, never changing and always there and loves and understands her. The God belief for her is motivating, fulfilling, empowering and embracing. She's doing what she needs to do.

So she's going where she needs to go right now to get her needs met and there isn't anything wrong with this at all.

Spirituality is so personal and such a unique experience it's hard to answer your questions about prayer and healing as each person's experience is very personal. Only your mom can answer this.

Good Luck