My running sessions have become a nightmare. I used to enjoy running so much that I persuaded my girlfriend to join me. After each longer run I get blisters and sometimes black toenails. I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t want stop running but I see no other solution. Any thoughts about blisters?

Fortunately you don’t have to stop running to get rid of blisters. They are, along with black toenails a result of inadequate running shoes. People pay much more attention to the fashion details than functionality of their running shoes. You can’t ride Tour de France on a lousy bike. Likewise you can’t expect yourself to be successful in running if you are not wearing top quality running shoes. One more thing, regardless of their quality, running shoes should be replaced every 300-500 miles.

Black toenails are mostly due to ill-fitting shoes like the above post said. Try the next size up, your toes should have enough room to spread freely. I usually say a half inch to the size of my thumbnail from your toes to the end of the shoes is plenty. That's what I tell everybody, but really it's a personal preference (I personally like my shoes a tad tighter). Your feet also should not be moving around in your shoe when you run. You can try some anti-blister socks which have two layers, so the layers rub and your foot doesn't rub against the sock. I personally run in Thorlos socks(number 1). They are nice and thick and stop me from getting blisters. They also have a little bit of support. Thorlos number 2 and 3 get thick and thicker.

Also, for existing blisters, I know I may have a little easier access to this than you, but go to a health store and see if you can find something called second skin.

This is basically it but mine is usually white and looks less... course. That usually holds the entire run and stops the blisters from hurting. I usually continue to do this even after the blister goes away for a few weeks, just to make sure the skin is nice and strong. I hope this helps...

Hmm, it seems my last picture didn't work. Well, just copy and paste the link into your browser and that should work. I'll try to make a link.

Socks are important too.
getting the correct fitting running shoe should stop the black toe nails, but if you still run in the cheapest socks you can find you'll still get blisters.
Personally I like the merino wool ones.

Blisters are caused by excessive friction and / or excessive pressure. The primary goal when treating them is to reduce the friction.
1. Professionally fit running shoes
2. Socks that wick moisture
3. Use antiperpirant on feet
4. use OTC or Custom orthotics to limit motion (and thus friction)

This will eliminate 90% of blisters. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use