I bought shoes with a bigger toe box and a 1/2 size bigger and pretty much my toe woes are not going away. In fact, now there is callous (I guess. They're white and puffy....I know disgusting topic) the tops of 2 of them. I had one nail finally shatter and now it's growing back very thick and out rather than up and it's a nice bruised color. A second one is thick and growing out too and is the same nice blue shade. Then my big toe has a big blister. Am I missing something here that I should be doing for my toes? The 2nd skin pads....nada.

I'm wearing Saucony Grid Shadows which feel great but maybe the box is still too small???? ACK. I don't want to be sliding around in my shoes.

Somethin' ain't right. You should have this looked at. Maybe a foot doc could recommend some shoes that would help. :shrug:

Shelee, the best thing I have done for my feet is to start wearing thicker socks. this provides a little more cushion, gives me a better fit in a little bigger shoe, and my feet can move more against the sock if they need to. :twocents:

Have you got high arches? Do your shoes provide proper arch support? The other day when I went to the sports doc, he commented that since I wasn't getting proper arch support that my feet would lenghten out just a little with every step and cause some toe box problems. I do have little blisters/callouses [sp?] on the ends of my longest toes.

Make sure you're wearing non-wool/cotton socks too.

I don't think that they're particularly high. Hmmm, it was suggested I wear Saucony Grids because of my arches, not enough support in the shoes I had been wearing. You know, that's where I'm encountering the blisters too, on my long toes. Did you get a referral for your sports doctor? I need one, but the HMO became an obstacle to referring me to one.

Nope, I'm with a PPO.

Usually the problem you describe results from the toes hitting the front of the shoe box as your foot makes contact with the ground with each stride. If the shoes are the right size for you and they are laced properly, that shouldn't be happening. The blisters are no big deal...you can solve that by smearing them with runners lube or vaseline before you put your socks on...but the rest of that stuff is from impact trauma.

Saucony's are known to fit a woman's foot: narrow heel and wide toebox, kinda like a piece of pizza. So, without looking at your feet in your shoes, the toebox should be wide enough for your feet. Quite possibly though, the toebox might not be high enough or long enough for your feet. Make sure you have about a thumbnail's length between the end of the shoe and the end of your longest toe. Where are the blisters? On the bottom of your toes? Or on the end of your toes? If it's the end, then you could be 'scrunching up' your toes while running. Or, quite possibly, you could be tensing your foot so that the toes bang the upper part of the shoe's toebox. Cushioned socks could help, as could double layer socks, but try to stay away from cotton socks since they don't manage moisture very well and tend to lead to blistering.

Or it could be from running on your toes. :D

Yeah, that's what it comes down to. A bigger toe box isn't going to correct this.