Hello all,
I'm a newbie to these forums. I've been running close to two years and have been wearing aasics gt2080's(two pairs now). Overall they have been wonderful and I have very little aches and pains with them, except for my toes! The edges/tips of my toes get very tender during and even after runs. They are building up callouses but continue to feel tender.

The fit feels right, but perhaps it's not? Or perhaps it's the design of the shoe that doesn't work well with my foot shape?(I didn't have this problem with previous shoes) Do some shoes have more cushioning or support in the toe area?

Thanks!
bsmiz

I just bouth 2 pairs of GT-2080s and I really like them. I wear orthotics with mine though so I've got a little something extra in the toe area.

I think all the running shoes I've ever owned felt about the same in the toe area. It was always the midfoot and heel that felt different to me.

Don't really know if this helps, but some of the adidas shoes have full foot adiprene. Which is their cushion thing.(comparable to gel/air/what have you)

The Supernova Cushions have it, and i believe some others as well.

before I started buying running shoes I always wore adidas cross trainers and they fit my feet really well. I think I will look into their running shoes.

I was wearing the GT-20xx series for the past year or so, and I love them up until the 2080 model. I found the 2080 to be a bit narrow in the toe box compared to the rest of the shoe. This forced me to get a wider shoe and they just never felt comfortable. Since then I have moved up to a full blown Motion control shoe and I have left Asics. Good luck in your search!

Paul

You probably don't need more cushioning in the forefoot of the shoe, since the forefoot cushioning in shoes is really under the ball of the foot. What you might need is one of two things (or both): 1. Make sure you have about 1/2 inch between your longest toe and the end of the shoe. That should be about a thumbnail length. And measure this while you're standing flat footed in the shoes, not with one foot in front of the other, and your weight on one leg. 2. Tenderness/pain/blisters/callouses on the ends/tips of the toes can mean that you're scrunching up your toes while you're running. In other words, you're flexing your foot. Check that out on your next run. And if you are, well, then stop. It's all about relaxing and letting your little toes have a small, little party in the end of your shoes.

Just what I was going to witness. My Supernova Cushions have the thickest forefoot I've come across.

Bsmiz, you might but try buying your next pair of shoes a half size larger next time.
Phar lap aka Skinny Dog

Try the Kayano line. Good bit more money, but I think they're far, far better than the 2070's I used to use.

I do this sometimes and have felt what you are describing. I didn't figure it out until they had gotten pretty bad and in the midst of a long run gone hard I curled my toes and yowza!! A little thought about extending my toes helps me stop but I still do curl them sometimes.