In spite of the fact that m wife is grumbling about it, I plan to start with winter running this year. I want to prepare myself properly because I know it’s a very demanding activity. Can you give me a few pieces of advice about the winter running suit? My main concern is about shoes, because I’m afraid I’ll catch a terrible cold if my feet get wet when it’s below zero.

First of all, your feet will have to get wet if you run through the snow. The only thing you can do to, at least, prevent it a bit is to always bring another pair of shoes and socks with you when you go running in the winter. There’s nothing much you can do about it. As for the clothes, it has to be layered. There should be three layers on the upper part of your body. Wear a warm undergarment which will be tight and not made of cotton, because it will absorb sweat but won’t let it evaporate so you’ll be wet. I think that a special appropriate light synthetic fabric is used for that. A sweatshirt of breathable fabric is the middle layer and a good windbreaker, in a luminous color if possible, is the top layer. A cap, gloves and a scarf are a must. Men’s tights should be worn under your running suit.